ProRender Graphics Card Error – Video Memory?

Hi, I'm getting an error using ProRender.

---------------------------
An error has occurred with your Graphics Card. Most likely there is not enough video memory. If you use heavy texture data, try to enable Out of Core Textures in the render settings of Radeon ProRender. Alternatively try to reduce your polygon count.

I've not found anywhere online where someonce's had this exact message, which is not encouraging!

I'm pretty sure my PC's up to scratch as I use it for motion work all the time, but would definitely like to know if there are any upgrades that might make a difference?

I'm fairly new to C4D, and while I was braced for long render times, I have found rendering performance to be far slower than I'd expect...

Any assistance much appreciated!

Dave

Operating System:           Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Processor (CPU) :               Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache

RAM:                                     64GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (4 x 16GB)

Graphics Card:                   2 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DX 12.1, G-SYNC

Hard Disk:                            4TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

M.2 SSD Drive:                  512GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3200MB/R, 1700MB/W)

ProRender Error.jpg

Try to open/render some example scene from content browser. There are few prorender scenes  and you´ll sure if problem with hardware or your scene settings etc. (content browser/example scenes-features/Rendering/01 scenes...)

Whatever their resolution might be, there is no way that the small amount of objects here should be running out of video RAM when you have 16 GB available...

Is it possible that PR isn't addressing one or both of the cards ? Would be helpful to see screenies of your PR settings or better still upload the scene file...

CBR

OK, I get the same error, and as you didn't include the textures, that can't be the reason, but nor is the polygon count.

So you need to send this file (with textures this time) to MAXON via their regular support channels. They are pretty much the only people that can explain why that happens. Although I could ask when you say latest drivers, do you mean latest PRO drivers or latest game drivers, because they are different, and PR likes one and not so much the other...

CBR

I installed the Nvidia Studio Driver rather than their Game Ready Driver, in the hope it would be best suited for C4D.

I tried opening an example scene as Bezo suggested, and ProRender handled it without the error. So perhaps this is simply an issue with this scene?

Maybe something with GSG materials. If I delete all materials from logo and leave just red one, render works without any issues. (except message about missing texture inside GSG softbox)

Or maybe mixing nodal/standard materials prorender don´t like 🙂

Yes I guess the mish-mash of elements from different sources was causing the issue. It should be possible to do that though!

Luckily this project was just a training exercise, so I’m consigning it to the trash. Thanks for your help!