Sign in to follow this  
FilipM

Solidchamfer plugin, updated for R20 and above

Hi all,
I have just updated my Solidchamfer plugin to R20 and above. It's free and you can get it here:

https://github.com/FMalmberg/SolidchamferR20/releases/tag/R1

(only windows build for now- if anyone wants to add a Mac build that is very welcome!)

Solidchamfer is an edge beveling plugin, and was originally developed back when c4d did not have similar tools. Since R15 the bevel tool in c4d does a similar job in the "Solid" mode. For my own modeling, I've found that I still prefer how my plugin handles a lot of corner cases, so I decided to update it to R20.

Enjoy!

/Filip

Admin

Can you please share inside Downloads section? 🙂 

Hi Filip, it´s nice to see you here again. Thanks for updating SolidChamfer...

(Our last email we changed is from 2012 when I asked for licence for R14...can believe it´s eight years)

On 6/28/2020 at 6:49 AM, FilipM said:

Hi all,

Solidchamfer is an edge beveling plugin, and was originally developed back when c4d did not have similar tools. Since R15 the bevel tool in c4d does a similar job in the "Solid" mode. For my own modeling, I've found that I still prefer how my plugin handles a lot of corner cases, so I decided to update it to R20.

Enjoy!

/Filip

Welcome back and thank you for making your plugin free to the community.

Just wondering if you have used R21 (either in demo mode or via a license).  I ask because I would be interested to know if the corner cases handled better by your plugin were resolved with the bevel improvements made in R21.

Learn more here:

Now...don't get me wrong..this is NOT a criticism of any sort. Anyone who can develop a bevel plugin deserves my immediate respect as the math is incredibly complex.  So kudos to you.   Recognizing that level of complexity, I would NOT be surprised that even the work they did in R21 sufficiently captures "every" situation.  Therefore, just wondering what holes your plugin fills.

Thanks,

Dave

Author of the topic Posted

"Just wondering if you have used R21 (either in demo mode or via a license).  I ask because I would be interested to know if the corner cases handled better by your plugin were resolved with the bevel improvements made in R21."

-Yes, I use R21 myself. AFAIK, the bevel improvements in R21 are on generators only (extruded splines, text, etc...). The solidchamfer plugin on the other hand works on polygon meshes, so it is more like the bevel _tool_ in c4d. Does that make sense?

"Now...don't get me wrong..this is NOT a criticism of any sort."

-No worries, thanks for checking out the plugin!

Author of the topic Posted

Update: I found a bug that was introduced while porting to R20. This has been fixed now, so if you already downloaded the plugin please update it to the latest version (it's the same download link)

/Filip