Sign in to follow this  
cnrgrn

Adding a displacement map to a Character imported from Daz3D

Hi guys,

I need help! So I want to add a displacement map I created in JSPlacement to a character I created and imported from Daz3d. I add the displacement map to the material shader. When I apply it to a simple shape it works perfectly, but when I apply it to the character it looks terrible. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 19.46.03.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 19.44.17.png

We need to see the topology of the daz model. Displacement requires evenly distributed all-quad polys ideally.

CBR

Author of the topic Posted

3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

We need to see the topology of the daz model. Displacement requires evenly distributed all-quad polys ideally.

CBR

Hey thanks. All quads, and fairly distributed I would say

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 20.25.59.png

Oh yes, that's absolutely fine for displacement. So next questions would be what are your displacement settings, and more importantly, how is that being mapped to the mesh ? If the material is in UV mapping mode, that might indicate some problems there...

CBR

Here are my displacement settings. My mapping mode is currently set to "Flat", but ive played around with the mode and the settings to get the less hectic result

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 20.45.00.png

32 minutes ago, cnrgrn said:

My mapping mode is currently set to "Flat",

There's the answer. Flat not suitable mapping for this at all I would say... probably none of the standard ones are unless cubic works, which it probably won't  on a model this curvy. Does it have a UV map ?

CBR

Pretty sure I can export one from Daz3d, but how can I put displacement onto that?

Like you would any UV mapped material -  by lining up the bitmap elements over a UV mesh layer you can generate in BP UV edit...

CBR

Ah I understand, thanks! Ill give that a try