Sign in to follow this  
Tomt

Help needed with takeaway box

Hi,

im wondering if anyone hd has success modelling the fold around the side? I’ve tried a few techniques without much luck. I need it to have more thickness than the card shown here which makes things a bit trickier. Problem is it needs to be almost formed from folds rather than cuts as it’s a waterproof container.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

3BF90E9A-CBE9-49E2-84BE-C1B97A857217.jpeg

That's fine - we can model that, but we need to be especially vigilant about edge flow, and how to work with very thin surfaces, and to think very carefully about at which point we add thickness, and how we best do that. What we really need to see though is a that box laid out flat, so that we have a full understanding of what folds where before we start. I can't really advise more specifically than that without this...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Hi CBR,

Thanks for the response. Edge flow has been a major issue so far and this has been really challenging when I thought it would be fairly simple. The thing to bear in mind is it needs to be a thicker version as if it's made of porcelain so with rounded edges slightly. This makes things a bit more challenging. 

Attached is my attempt in C4D and a small sketch of the topology. I couldn't find the exact box flattened but the one attached has the same idea. What I would like to achieve is a neater fold at the bottom of the pack. at the moment it extrudes too much like the top. 

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Tom 

0a14702c3c32ff47a687d55957c438b2.jpg

Capture.PNG

IMG_9190.JPG

This is anything but a simple model. When there is folding like this and thickness, things get exponentially more difficult in both the topology planning and the execution. But first a question. Do you have the bevel deformer in your version of Cinema ?

CBR

• Topic Author

Yes I do. I need to update my version I'm on R20 Studio.

Excellent - please do update your profile on the cafe.

The key to understanding the topo we need here is in that plan you uploaded, so I will base my examples on that for now.

The topology we need is best achieved with that deformer like so... (also best illustrated flat so you have some chance of seeing what is actually going on !)

image.thumb.png.6e325134897f8782bce4517a9cd5af15.png

image.thumb.png.eeb55219c7dd04e3b1e90fb528ac2d4b.png

I used an edge selection and these settings to get the result above...

image.thumb.png.8449d23508c557320afbf653475b23f3.png

This gives us vital room to account for the thickness and folding later, particularly at the difficult lower corners...

Can you see where to go from here ? Or do you need additional steps, which I may have time to pop back and add throughout the day as other work permits...

CBR

• Topic Author

That's an interesting approach I hadn't considered. Thanks! I'll give that a try and see how I get on.

• Topic Author

Unfortunately this didn't work for me, it would probably work if I didn't need the amount of thickness I do. The triangles make it difficult to work with and when I add the thickness with Cloth Surface it starts to overlap at the bottom of the box. 

1.PNG

2.PNG

You absolutely cannot use any automatic thickness generating tools for this. A cloth surface hasn't got a hope in hell of dealing with this !

You need to add thickness with expert use of extrude, and Normal shifting. The triangles are necessary at this stage of modelling, and would be quadrified later if that became essential; for now it is not.

CBR

• Topic Author

Okay I think the real struggle then is how i add depth to the bottom section and extrude without overlapping the polygons.