Sign in to follow this  
Freemorpheme

Curvature on solid body

Hi there, 

I have some quite challenging curvature to put into a solid model. I normally box model these things and use SDS but I havent had to control the curves quite as much before as with this model. Anyone got any good tips and tricks for this kind of smooth curved surface?

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 13.28.04.png

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 13.25.59.png

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 13.25.50.png

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 13.28.54.png

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

For instance I have been making polys with the poly pen and stitching them together - but I am wondering if starting with the box and putting it under SDS right away might be the best move.

SDS is much more suitable for this than you imagine, and more than capable of getting the sharpness in the right places if well constructed. I wouldn't do this as a hard surface model at all; that is not to say it isn't possible that way, but you are dealing with so many more polygons, and its simply loads more work. No, I would have the model under (symmetry and) SDS right from the start. You should build this using staged subdivision, where you begin as low poly as you possibly can, then, when you simply do not have enough resolution to continue, apply  just 1 level of SDS and continue refining until you need to add another one.

CBR