Sign in to follow this  
zeden

Baking Motion clip with animated Pivot to Motion source failure

Hi,

I have problems with baking Motion clips with animated Pivots to a Motion source. The Motion source fails to recognize the animated pivot and only bakes the pure clip data. My workaround is to duplicate the joint chain, delete keys and retarget it to the animated one and bake the new second chain as a motion source which feels kind of redundant. Any solutions out there for that issue? Thx!

Hi

Can you please update your profile for your C4D version as the advice given can change according to the version you use?

Without seeing what this pivot is doing its hard to tell but normally the pivot object gets added after making a motion clip.  When you say "pure clip data" do you mean keys?  Pivot objects that have keys on can be added to a motion clip so you will need to provide the scene, a video so we can get a more visual idea of what the issue is.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

I use R19 but the motion system is untouched in over a decade so no difference here.

I am producing around 30 character animations by mixing homemade motion capture with Mixamo and keyframe animation. Both mocap and Mixamo are converted into clips for a first step because I very often have to add a Pivot to a clip to align or correct the position to blend with an Idle animation or for example the character jumps and I correct the length or height of the jump using a pivot. As soon as I want to save that corrected clip as a motion source the pivot correction is ignored and only the Keyframes are exported.

That is why I came up with the duplicate joint chain workflow. Since the second chain is only retargeted to the original Joints I can bake them, convert them to a clip and export as a source to reuse it. That works but after the 20th time it gets annoying...I fear the only solution would be a python automation of that workflow.

Iv managed to bake pivot into the root joint of the rig.  See video.

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Hi, thx for looking into it. Appreciate.
    This is working nicely yes but I am looking for a direct way of saving the clip with pivot to a motion source. The state before you bake the Keyframes in your video. To do that in your video workflow after baking you would need to create a new clip from the bake and save it as a motion source. So a two layered workflow that overrides the Initial clip is what I want to avoid. It is not really a huge problem but I was looking for an elegant solution here 😉

Yes that is the case as the pivot is seen as a separation motion source from the rig so to get it to be as you mention you need the pivot to be part of the joint hierarchy hence why it only works by eliminating the pivot object by baking its result into the root joint, then as you say putting it back through the motion clip step which Is a fast process anyway.  To hav what your after you need a script that bakes then gets put back into a new clip source removing the old one.  In MODO this would be easy as you can record your own macros from actions and save as a script.

Dan