Sign in to follow this  
C4DS

Set New Selection

I have been using "Set Selection" on many occasions. Be it to create selection tags to apply different materials to an object.

Or simply as kind of a clipboard to temporarily hold a set of selected polygons during modeling.

However, in most cases I do not have enough with a single selection tag. It can happen that during a modeling session I need a few temporary selections, to be picked up later in the process when I need to work here and there on a model.

As such, in the past I had a love-hate relationship with the "Set Selection" command. It was a very useful tool, except that it required me to always deselect the newly created selection tag before I could create another one. Reason for this is that if you perform a "Set Selection" with a selected tag, the newly selected items would be merged into the selected tag ... instead of being created in their own separate tag.

I mostly use the Commander to quickly type "set se" and press enter. Or I would add the "Set Selection" icon into a modeling palette and dock it in the layout.

Still, in order to be able to create multiple selection tags, I would need to execute the command, deselect the tag, and proceed with creating a new selection.

NOT ANYMORE ...

It finally annoyed me so much that I spend some time writing a script to provide the functionality to perform a "Set New Selection" ... NOT overwriting the current selection tag. This script will create a new selection tag of its own, use an appropriate unique name (just as the native "Set Selection"), store the selected items be it polygons, edges or points.

I call it: Set New Selection.

The good thing is, that you can execute this script from the Commander, or drag the icon into a palette and dock it into the layout.

AND it can coexist next to the native "Set Selection". Which means you can still use the original behaviour if you want to overwrite a selection tag, or use the new one to create separate tags each time the script is executed.

Isn't that neat? Yes, I thought so too!

And the best thing ... it's available here, and it's ... wait for it ... free !!!

Set New Selection.zip

Thanks for sharing, very generous, I feel your pain re the deselection process. look forward to using it.

Deck

Awesome tool!  I love it because sometimes you set a selection on one object, then move to another object to work on it a bit and when you move back to your original object, you forget that you had left it with a selection that is already active.  Therefore, I am always falling into this trap.

Brilliant!

Dave

Admin

Daniel, why not uploading to DOWNLOADS section? I can do it for you not a problem!

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted
    6 hours ago, Igor said:

Daniel, why not uploading to DOWNLOADS section? I can do it for you not a problem!

Why?

It's an ego thing. I want to stay in control of the availability of the script.

More importantly, I feel that having a topic on the subject allows to interact with the users.

If changes need to be done on the script, it can easily be discussed in the topic.

And I'd also like to refer to the recent discussion about the download section not being available, or hard to find.

Admin
    2 hours ago, C4DS said:

Why?

It's an ego thing. I want to stay in control of the availability of the script.

More importantly, I feel that having a topic on the subject allows to interact with the users.

If changes need to be done on the script, it can easily be discussed in the topic.

And I'd also like to refer to the recent discussion about the download section not being available, or hard to find.

Not really sure why we then have download section but whatever. All of that and more you can do in Download section too, but as you wish.

• Topic Author

I wanted to upload the zip file into the download section, but I get an error that it only accepts .c4d .zip .obj .fbx files.

Ironically it's a .zip file but still I get the error.

Admin
    30 minutes ago, C4DS said:

I wanted to upload the zip file into the download section, but I get an error that it only accepts .c4d .zip .obj .fbx files.

Ill take a look, thanks for reporting.

Admin
    1 hour ago, C4DS said:

Try now, @Merk managed to resolve the issue.

• Topic Author

Thanks for that.

File has been uploaded here.

That makes for a nice experiment, looking forward to which version gets the most downloads.