Sign in to follow this  
blastframe

Default Facing Direction

Hello,

I'm curious if there is any reason that the Character Object's default facing direction is -Z. It seems more logical to me that if an object is moving forward, the values would be positive and backwards, the values would be negative. Perhaps it is because Cinema 4D's Viewport is looking at -Z by default?  If so, why is that?

Thank you.

I think it's right to say that everything in Cinema that might use a vector in its animation is always facing down Z by default, but I think which way it is facing down Z is less important. I don't know why CO default character is facing Z-, unless its just a default preference that assumes it  would be most useful if a character walked toward the (default) camera rather than away from it...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

I haven't seen a consistent direction amongst the 3D applications. In Maya, the characters face +Z and in Blender & 3DS Max it's -Y, all facing their default cameras. I am still curious why Cinema 4D chose to face -Z when +Z, though maybe less important, makes more sense (to me anyway).

No. These programs are all originally made by separate vendors, some copied each other, some did entirely their own thing both in terms of default character direction, and even whole axis systems. They all had their reasons no doubt, but very rare that they sit down and tell anyone what those might have been...

CBR

everything you create in c4d is facing that way , why should the CO be an exception to that? would be quite inconsistent if it was oriented differently. every software has their own convention there, to me c4ds default orientation makes the most sense tbh, since it's the same orientation common math graphs have. y+ is up, x+ from left to right and z+ from front to back.  in the end it doesn't matter i guess, i just wished all programs could agree on a standard, so exchanging files and rigs wouldn't cause so many headaches.