Sign in to follow this  
DaveTheWorst

Renders So Different!

Hi, I'm sure this is an obvious and expected scenario to most, but I don't understand why my scene looks SO different using different renderers.

I get that they use different processes and the whole point is to achieve different results, but interpretations of the scene seem to be wildly different.

Image 1: Physical Renderer

Image 2: ProRender

Image 3: Arnold

The obvious issue is the lights. Physical Renderer is closest to what I'd expect. ProRender ignores the 'visible light' used for the bomb's fuse and shows the side light much harsher. Arnold seems to ignore all lights except for the illumination from the fuse – which should itself be visible. I know there's a C4DtoA light parameter tag, but I think straight up C4D lights should still work?

Both ProRender and Arnold look like they ignore Global Illumination which is set.

Is this just certain settings in ProRender and Arnold that I've not checked? I've searched extensively on this with no luck!

If the renderers are always going to give completely different scenes, does that mean I need to build a scene based on a specific renderer? I'd hoped to be able to create a scene and then output to different renderers with some degree of consistency!

Any and all help gratefully appreciated..

Physical.jpg

ProRender.jpg

Arnold.jpg

Hi, 

I actually have never touched the physical or ProRender even once in my life, but I can tell you that with Arnold you need to use the dedicated Arnold lights, it doesn't really work with the standard C4D lights. It does work with C4D materials though. That's why it picks up that emission from the fuse, but the rest of the lights is ignored. You will have to rebuild your lighting with Arnold lights to get a good result

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Thanks, good to know. It's fine as long as I know what the deal is.

Don't want to have to replace every C4D light with an Arnold one at the end of a complex project!

I don't understand why it picked up the fuse illumination though, as it's still a basic C4D light? Is it something to do with being set to visible? If so, why is it picking up the illumination but not the visible light itself?

Ah I thought the fume light came from an emissive material

Well, it might very well be that your C4D lights are theoretically recognized, but they might be picked up as very dim and not really visible. You should read the Arnold documentation about lights, it is very easily laid out there. I'm not completely sure if adding an Arnold tag de facto makes the light an Arnold light, but you could try that

On a closer look, it definitely seems like there is some light from the right side hitting the  box on the Arnold picture, it's just very dim

If you want to render in Arnold I would strongly recommend you to do all your lookdev in Arnold (you can use the new Arnold GPU for that) and build the entire scene from the start with Arnold lights, as switching the renderer afterwards is always going to cause a big difference and could cost you more time in the long run

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Really helpful info, thank you!

I did notice slight evidence of the other lights and I guess you could labour over them until they work, but the point is they're not designed for Arnold.

I see Arnold GPU supports my graphics card, so will look into that right away.

Main takeaway is to pick a renderer and commit to it!

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Dave