Sign in to follow this  
palosanto

Turning off a specific texture

I need to be able to turn on/off a specific texture in a material.  The 'selection' texture tag parameter does exactly that, if it's empty the texture shows and renders normally but any other entry, number or string turns the texture off.    I want to have a toggle as one of many other things I'm doing in an Xpresso custom panel.
How can I make the 'selection' parameter input anything say "1"  to turn the texture off or leave the field empty to enable the texture.
A boolean doesn't work because its either TRUE or FALSE and it outputs one of this two words as a string in the field so it always results on the texture being turned off. Tu be turned on, the field needs to be empty.
I could use a String type data field and leave it empty to display the texture or enter anything to turn it off but I wander if there is a better way.

Tag.jpg

Use condition node. With bool (or integer user data which you get more options) drive output of condition node in string mode...

The field is a string so using an empty string or a "somethingortheother" string is quite correct for this specific purpose.

The reason why this is a string and not a link is, you can put in symbolic and inherited textures that are "found by name", e.g. "R1" which exists only in the virtual object hierarchy.

I actually wish there were a different way to switch off selected texture tags in C4D - after all, you may have a valid selection, which you would need to restore after having a temporary invalid selection in that field for a while... this can be cumbersome.

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted
    12 hours ago, bezo said:

Use condition node. With bool (or integer user data which you get more options) drive output of condition node in string mode...

Thanks but I'm not sure if I followed what you suggest:
    - I made the input to the Condition switch a boolean (Texture control node)
    - The two constants for the switch are an empty string and a non-empty string
    - The Condition output fills the "Selection" field in the Texture tag

But it doesn't work ...  can you see what's wrong?

UPDATE: I had the data type wrong in Condition.  It works now. 🙂

Condition.jpg

not needed to create extra nodes for string names, simply open condition node and set names there...

Hide_mat_xp.zip

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

ah!  thanks