Torch flame or jet exhaust?

I was thinking about having an item in an animation emit a nice blue or purple flame like that of a blowtorch. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial to create something like that in Cinema 4D? I am sure that it could be added in post, but if I can I'd rather have it rendered directly into the scene.

Cinema doesn't have any Flame or Jet sim stuff past what you can do with Pyrocluster, or faking it via other means. The most realistic results probably would come from a Post solution or a TPP like TFD or (later versions of) Xparticles. But there will be lots of ways to fake the look if you get creative with it. For example you could get a cylinder and use something like the flame or ring-wave shaders in the opacity channel of a material assigned to it to fake it, possibly in conjunction with a volumetric or visible light or other layers that help build up the effect...

If I wasn't so busy today I would make you some tests, but maybe I will get some time over the weekend...

CBR

That looks right. Can it be animated so that it looks like it flickers a bit, so it's not just static? What settings would you personally animate if trying to get it to look like a real flame?