Sign in to follow this  
Valnoir

Pinball bumper

Hi everyone!

I'm working on a pinball animation, in which the ball will be bouncing around on different elements like.... well, like in a pinball. I'm planning to have it all done with dynamic elements.

The wall I'm hittinng now is that I need to have bumpers, (those funny mushrooms you have on pinballs) on which the ball should violently bounce back as soon as collision happen.

As far as I understood, Xpresso, which I basically never used, should be able to help me on that task, but so far playing around with the collision mode didn't provide the results I was expecting. The strategy I had in mind was to increase the scale of the bumper at collision, the sudden scale change providing sufficient energy to kick the ball out .

But I'm totally open to any other suggestions.

See the file attached. Thanks!

bumper.c4d

I'd have the bumper hidden, so the increase in size isn't apparent. This file uses a condition node with 2 radii, 0 or 1 passes the value on the input ports.

bumper2.c4d

here's one I made a few years ago - don't ask how it works, I've forgotten even though I left myself notes 😀

The sounds should be embedded and (on Windows) CTRL and ALT work the flippers -

pinball.c4d

needs a fairly fast pc + decent gfx, but turning off shadows might help in that respect.

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Oh wow thanks! I'll dive into this. This should be very helpful.

• Topic Author

Ok This was exactly what I needed BUT.
    sorry for being such a newbe,  I want to modify the value of the radius in "hidden" (turn it from 150 to 200) and I can't even get to change the value... how do you do that?

Double click the XPresso tag so the XP window opens. Highlight the condition node and type in new value.

change_value.png.f5ab81254c6c7b6488ab07a82bd4654d.png

• Topic Author

Amen alleluia be blessed unknown stranger.