So.....tomorrow is the "MAXON 3D & Motion Design Show: The Siggraph Edition" with the Mr. McGavran kicking off the show with: "some exciting announcements and a few sneak peeks at the future of MAXON products" and not one thread about what to expect in the next release in the Cafe?  Did I miss something?

If I did not miss something and there really is complete silence, then could it be due to one or more of the following? 

1. We don't expect anything different than what has already been announced in S22.
  2. We finally got an update to the UV editing system in S22!!!  Anything after that is anti-climatic.  We have no further expectations so there is no point in speculating.
  3. We realize that speculation is pointless...so why bother.  We will get what we get....so just wait for it.
  4. Mr. McGavran's R21 Siggraph presentation spun the room with the announcement of subscriptions which was the bulk of his presentation. As such, we don't remember that presentation for its feature discussion because we were all in denial.  Based on that experience, which was a shock to everyone's system, we are fearful of what he has to say this year and therefore don't want to talk about it.  In short, we still have PTSD.

Usually by now we would have a 3 page thread going with everyone pitching in their hopes and dreams.  In that discussion, which can switch from civil to nasty with one post,  there would be:

1. The usual list of features covering the same areas of the program in need of an update.
  2. Some really valid points being made about features we never knew we needed.
  3. Arguments raging over why do we have to wait so long for much needed features - including those we never knew we needed until they were mentioned in the thread.
  4. A well timed post from 3D-Kiwi about life after MAXON.
  5.  Predictions over MAXON's future which only generates more controversy.
  6. At least two threats from the moderators threatening to shut the thread down if tempers continue to escalate.
  7. A few posts from brave MAXON employee's  trying to be the voice of reason.

....hmmm.....maybe the silence is better.

Dave

1 hour ago, goodwin said:

Don't forget about all those "switch to Blender" posts. 😉

image.png.6c0cfa2f5e33559702fba39e72c1f96f.png

I mean, one look at my Avatar and you can tell where I stand on that topic.

...but...

I am still here but we are coming up to an interesting decision point.   Again, the beauty of the old MSA was that if you did not sign-up again when the MSA expired you were out of the program.  So MSA holders all had  firm dates (the date when their maintenance plans expired) to make a decision on whether or not to continue with C4D.  My MSA expiration date was always September 1st which was well timed because by then you knew what was going to be in the next release.   But now that I use permanent licenses only, the decision to upgrade to R22 or not shifts to when "I think" they are going to announce R23 or S23. 

That gives me more time to decide...and more time MAXON has to wait to get my money.  Hopefully, all other permanent license holders take advantage of time being on their side and don't jump in right away with their permanent license upgrades.  They offered a 30% off sale on pretty much everything BUT perpetual license upgrades a few weeks ago. Maybe time will change that position.

I will admit that with the two programs and numbering schemes - S22 and R21 - it is hard to predict what rules they apply on upgrading perpetual licenses one revision until the next release is announced.  Was S22 the next release?  Will there be an R22 in September or do they go right to R23?  Paying a two revision upgrade cost for my perpetual license from R21 to R23 in September will put me out of the game...so let's hope they don't do that.

Tomorrow will be interesting.  Let us hope they do not forget that Blender gives us options.

Dave

There is no suspense: Mc Gavran said S22 is a preview of R22 available to subscribers only, with R22  to be released around Q4 with additional features. The upgrade price will be about  +20-25% vs the cost of an MSA. 

1 hour ago, Adrien said:

There is no suspense: Mc Gavran said S22 is a preview of R22 available to subscribers only, with R22  to be released around Q4 with additional features. The upgrade price will be about  +20-25% vs the cost of an MSA. 

I don't think he said that S22 was a preview of later release....

He (and other MAXON employees) said that R22 would include all S22 features+new stuff. S22 is not a “preview” in the sense of a beta, but an early release for subscribers with some of the new features that will be included in R22. 
The whole point of S22 was to make subscriptions more appealing by offering new features on a more regular basis without having to wait for the annual “big” release. 

And yes, they  do not want to promote perpetual licenses, hence the absence of rebates. They were clear about this although they committed to keeping perpetual licenses for now. 

5 hours ago, Adrien said:

He (and other MAXON employees) said that R22 would include all S22 features+new stuff. S22 is not a “preview” in the sense of a beta, but an early release for subscribers with some of the new features that will be included in R22. 
The whole point of S22 was to make subscriptions more appealing by offering new features on a more regular basis without having to wait for the annual “big” release. 

And yes, they  do not want to promote perpetual licenses, hence the absence of rebates. They were clear about this although they committed to keeping perpetual licenses for now. 

that was just to calm down people who thought subscribers would get features perpetual license holders wouldn’t get. so it was said that the following release for everyone  would of course have all the features of the subscription release included, that’s all. 

I don’t think there has ever been a plan to create a a

subscription version of C4D with a unique set of features that perpetual license owners would never get access to. 
This is just the opposite of MAXON’s efforts to simplify their product line up.