The 3D Motion Show | July Discussion

26 minutes ago, Batz said:

I am very interested in nodes that were shown and viewport performance. looks like r23 is what r18 should have been ūüėÜ

is there a list of features for nodes we can check? what makes it a tech demo? is it like an alpha version or what?

what makes it a tech demo is that you're going to be able to play with it in the next version, while it's not a fully fledged feature. it has limitations and it's only low level nodes at this point, but you can already do stuff with it. viewport performance is stellar, like millions of clones and still realtime, even on rather weak machines like laptops.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Basically, yes. The Neutron node system is the basis for all new features going forwards. In its current state though it isn't something most people will want to use directly; it is super powerful but

Really?  Neutron....and not Neutrino?     I mean, which one works better for you?   This one:     Or this:     Honestly, you folks resonat

Although I don't post much these days I check in several times a week. Yeah I watched the Neutron preview and it looks awesome. Had MAXON released this while I was still using C4D I would likely still

Posted Images

• Community Staff
13 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

Most of this high-end stuff is way over my head and what I do with C4D, but it did look impressive. I thought it very odd to show off Redshift in Maya instead of C4D. Why do that? I know Redshift is available for other apps, but this is a MAXON presentation. Also, as for the new Redshift RT, it was presented as a new feature (I think). Shouldn't that be presented as "Redshift will be way faster in the next upgrade!" Why would anyone ever use a slower setting and not always use the fastest?

Also, someone needs to help out David McGavran's video setup. The man looked a little disheveled, poor quality video, lighting and audio. Call Rick Barrett for help! ūüėČ

Because RT is probably going to have a limited featureset and not support everything. I'm sure there's also going to be artifacts in certain scene setups. And for everything that uses stuff that is not supported you're going to need the basic Redshift.

If you rewatch the presentation you can, albeit the sh*** video quality, definitely see a difference between RT on/off.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

• Silver Contributor
1 hour ago, everfresh said:

viewport performance is stellar, like millions of clones and still realtime, even on rather weak machines like laptops.

That sounds really impressive! Looking forward to playing with that!

Is the massive increase in viewport performance only for nodal objects and nodal primitives or is it for any model you add to the scene?  That is, if I add 10,000 tree models (from Laubwerks, Xfrog, Forester, etc) will I get the same viewport performance as shown in yesterday’s presentation with those nodal trees?

33 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Is the massive increase in viewport performance only for nodal objects and nodal primitives or is it for any model you add to the scene?  That is, if I add 10,000 tree models (from Laubwerks, Xfrog, Forester, etc) will I get the same viewport performance as shown in yesterday’s presentation with those nodal trees?

I think they said that the object manager would eventually be creating hidden nodes as well, so I guess the performance should be similar in the end using either system, but I'm not entirely sure if I understood that correctly

It would definitely be very handy if you could just switch seamlessly between the object manager and the nodal setup at any time, so if you want to delve deeper into a certain part of your scene you could just change to the nodal view and switch back afterwards

1 hour ago, 3D-Pangel said:

only things that are created with neutron benefit from it, regular objects  will run at the "speed" we know. but at some point everything will be nodes in the background, so "regular" models will benefit from it as well. right now think of it as a thing that sits on top of your regular c4d, mostly disconnected from the rest of it.

2 minutes ago, everfresh said:

only things that are created with neutron benefit from it, regular objects  will run at the "speed" we know. but at some point everything will be nodes in the background, so "regular" models will benefit from it as well. right now think of it as a thing that sits on top of your regular c4d, mostly disconnected from the rest of it.

So right now its a Mograph on steroids? But will at some point be the base for everything. Till that happens the speed gain only affects the "neutons" but not the objects living in the object manager. And when this happens is not jet foreseeable?!

thanks,

Jops

A direct comparison to MoGraph would not be valid, but there is some overlap. For the time being Neutron is a Tech Demo, what it will become in the future we will see.

4 minutes ago, srek said:

A direct comparison to MoGraph would not be valid, but there is some overlap. For the time being Neutron is a Tech Demo, what it will become in the future we will see.

Is Neutron supposed to be some kind of new "back end" on steroid for C4D, and the object manager a simple "front end"?

Sorry I am not a tech guy and I struggle to understand what Neutron is or is not.  

• Silver Contributor

Neutron certainly looks very promising - assuming the performance translates across all forms of objects, which I'm going to assume, it would be crazy otherwise. The only frustration is that it still looks like it will be another 12-24 months before this moves from 'technology demo' - fun to play with, but not much use - to production ready. I hope it's sooner, but reading between the lines that's my feeling.

Looking at Rick's demo, I think the only node in the geometry listing was 'sphere' - so I expect we're going to see a lot of dancing balls in a few months time. Ho Hum.

For me the immediate highlights are the near term availability of Redshift OSL and Redshift RT. Also excellent to see support for USD.