Perpetual license upgrade

So here it is: the annual email from my distributor about my MSA renewal...except that this year, there won’t be another MSA. 
Alright, I knew about this. Now here is the rub: they suggest switching to the subscription model to replace the MSA and offer a 20% discount on a 2-year subscription. No mention about the perpetual license upgrade. 
 This is plain wrong and not transparent at all. How come the price of the upgrade has not been made public yet? I’m shocked. 

@Adrien

RE: perpetual license upgrade
It's 20% more of the current annual subscription price. 

RE: How come the price of the upgrade has not been made public yet? 
We are all shocked! 
This info is relayed through the forums (officially by @DMcGavran and others) and/or the distributor. 
But never in their actual site. 

As to why, we will never know. 
I don't even get why it is 20% more than the subscription price (i.e. we are penalized)
Should we have at least equal or even lesser than the annual subscription price since we were a user before the subscription thing? 

Instead of beating around the bush, they should just terminate perpetual licenses and show their cards once and for all. I’m tired of this double language: perpetual upgrades will be available but nowhere can I find information about upgrade prices and MAXON resellers avoid mentioning them to lock me with a  subscription plan. That’s plain wrong and commercially dodgy if not unethical. 

I’m really tired of being treated like a fool and a cash cow with crazy high prices and not even monthly payments  for a program that is crippled with limitations. I always have given MAXON the benefit of the doubt but this letter is just the last straw. 

In the past upgrade prices for new releases have been made available on announcement of the new release, why do you expect it to be different this time? There was a clear statement from Dave that the price will be in the same ballpark as in previous years, this is actually more information than was given in years past.

@srek
Thanks for the response. 

RE: Dave that the price will be in the same ballpark as in previous years, 
At face value, probably yes. But in substance, its not.
Why? Because there is no longer MSA. So we are forced to actually pay 20% more. 
In addition, even if you do upgrade perpetual, you no longer qualify for the Cineversity because there is no longer MSA.

This is what we, at least I, mean by being PENALIZED. 

Again, my argument stays the same throughout this transition. 
You can have your subscription. BUT PLEASE PLEASE maintain the perpetual (MSA and all) as is. 

As srek mentioned we will announce pricing for upgrades when we announce a new version.  We haven't announced a new version so we can't announce the pricing for that not announced version.  MSA program has been replaced with subscription including Cineversity.  

Cheers

Dave

18 minutes ago, srek said:

In the past upgrade prices for new releases have been made available on announcement of the new release, why do you expect it to be different this time? There was a clear statement from Dave that the price will be in the same ballpark as in previous years, this is actually more information than was given in years past.

Upgrade prices are pretty much the same year on year, at least in France. Unless they add Redshift to the mix I don’t know what’s taking MAXON so long.

Besides this is NOT a normal year at all: the MSA ends for me on sept 1st after 10 years of loyalty. I would expect all the fall back options to be clearly laid out, including perpetual upgrades prices, instead of scammy proposals that deliberately avoid mentioning perpetual upgrades to lock me into subscriptions. This is what the community has been asking for a year and yet, all we got are scattered statements on user forums. I want an official page on the MAXON website with all options and prices. 

16 minutes ago, DMcGavran said:

As srek mentioned we will announce pricing for upgrades when we announce a new version.  We haven't announced a new version so we can't announce the pricing for that not announced version.  MSA program has been replaced with subscription including Cineversity.  

Cheers

Dave

Dave, please make sure then that your distributors communicate all the options instead of pushing subscriptions. I found their email quite offending and anyone not fully aware of the topic would have probably bought into their plan. That’s disinformation. 

4 hours ago, Adrien said:

I would expect all the fall back options to be clearly laid out, including perpetual upgrades prices, instead of scammy proposals that deliberately avoid mentioning perpetual upgrades to lock me into subscriptions. 

The offer you got from the reseller can hardly propose a perpetual update at this time in good conscience, since they could only offer the latest perpetual, not the coming. As such the offer is basically the only one they could make you right now.

I know the argument but I still think it's wrong.  Having no transparency on the cost of future upgrades 1 year after introducing subscriptions is hard to swallow. My distributor got back to me with the same blunt answer ("we won't know until R22 is released") and just highlighted the current price of an upgrade: 1 020EUR (tax incl) vs 660EUR (tax incl) for the MSA up until now. This would be a whopping 55% price increase if MAXON keeps the same policy...