Backlite a keypad model in Cinema 4D R21

Hello All,

I am trying to reproduce the keypad panel as per the pic attached. In Cinema 4D R21.  It is from the movie Alien of course. As you can see the keypad itself is easy enough to model, but I'm having trouble lighting it as closly to that attached image as possible. I so far have used and omni light under one key on the keypad and used the backlight effect. The problem being it looks either to bright or not bright enough. I was just wonder if there is a very simple procedure to have the keys backlit and add some grime and light aging along the key edges as per the movie? Please note the the pic labeled "Image-asset" is a very impressive 3D model variation on the movie panel that I found online. It is really the right look I'm trying to achive. 

Many thanks.

John

autodestructpanel.jpg

akasa.png

image-asset.png

I think I would try some sort of dirt-masked Subsurface scattering in Luminance for this.

image.thumb.png.a2a804f237d9dea4fc9902a6040ecbae.png

My ultra quick version hasn't had any of the care or love it ideally needs, but the method shows potential I think...

CBR

7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I think I would try some sort of dirt-masked Subsurface scattering in Luminance for this.

Hello

Wow, that is rather good and very close to what i'm after. Thank you. I should point out I am really new to C4D, I created the panel, symbols and all in Illustrator, but it just can't be lit realistically. If I had got my attempt to look as good as yours in C4D I probably would have clapped myself on the back!

Could you describe how you lit it as it is in your image?

I had looked at some ideas online, where and omni light is placed under the cube (the key) create a new material set to luminance only, and then backlite effect, adjust the shader colour and adjust down the falloff radius. While this looks ok if the cube has a good bit of verticle height, it doesnt look correct for a very shallow shape as is the keypad object. Does any of this make sense??

Again thank you for replying. 🙂

John

My ultra quick version hasn't had any of the care or love it ideally needs, but the method shows potential I think...

CBR

CBR

In this above case there is a small omni light under each clone (this is just one tile and light under grid array cloner), which I did mainly for speed.

In your case you probably want to share lights between buttons (to achieve the variation in lighting intensity in different areas of them) so probably not a good idea to clone any lights in your setup.

So what is going on here is that we have 1 material applied to a button that is just doing luminance, and in that luminance channel is the subsurface scattering shader set to a suitable colour and path length (the 2 most important settings in there). Then we need to mask off that light by applying another material over the top that has some sort of noise / gradient combo in its alpha channel, which allows some portions of the SSS mat underneath to show through the dirt. Again I compromised here for speed, and just layered up an FBM noise and a 4 corners gradient, which then got applied to each button (hence them all being the same), but you will probably not want to do that, so that you get individual grime per button.

So for that reason I would probably get my cloned group, and apply my second material to the whole of the group with a flat projection from above so that they all get a small part of a larger area of noise, and hence more randomness.

Lastly you may be wondering how I got the black lines in between buttons negating the 20 odd lights behind them - that is just a simple black plane object blocking the light. I have a scene file if you are still stuck, but hopefully that is enough to guide you on your way, or at least get you headed in the right direction...

CBR

Posted (edited)

I am very greatfull to you for all that info. Not haveing the program in front of my at this moment I will have to try to figure out all thoses procedures you mentioned later. The project file would be great if you can. Im using R21. Again, many thanks for this assistance!

John

Update:

Ok I have tried the subsurface scattering effect which has really helped. But I really am have trouble getting the 4 corner gradient to do anything. when I apply it as a new material it just comes out black and blocks the previous materiel completely. Attached is the keys without the gradient. 

keypad 2.png

Edited by nalyom
update info

After a few more days trying different things it is starting to look back lit. I even added some grunge overlays. However I cant map a decal to the keys without the color turning to black or transparent.

You can see a test decal on the key on the right, there is a red square and a green triangle I didn't bother to fix the mapping etc but cant figure out why the Alpha channel comes out this way. I created a new material and used a color channel and an alpha and loaded the png into them. I'm stumped!

keypad 3.png

hello again,

It seems applying my png image to a new cube works just fine. But an object lit with subsurface scattering is causing the decal image to come out monochrome. Is there a way around this? I've tried all sorts of things but the decals for the keypad are in colour mostly but I think the subsurface scattering is the problem.