Sign in to follow this  
muhchris

How Do You Align Maps On UV

Forgive me as I attempt to purvey the details of my question, as to structure the question in the most concise manner.

We will start at the very beginning.

As seen in the attached picture, within Cinema 4D, and created solely for the sake of this discussion, I create a simple object, and unwrap it.

Next, in my personal pipeline, I will "Create UV Mesh Layer", and save the Texture out as a .PSD.

Next, I open the .PSD within Photoshop to apply my Textures to the UV Layer.

Herein begins my question.

Simply creating a few new layers and dragging, and stretching textures into place where they belong on the UV, is not the problem. My lack of understanding is as follows.

Ultimately, this model, and its UV, are going to end up inside Unity. I need to understand how to apply a number of multiple Texture Maps, (ie Diffuse, Height, AO, Normal), inside of Photoshop, while stretching, and aligning them to the UV.

One single Texture is no problem, drag it, get it into shape etc, no problem, but let's say for every face of my simple object I need/want to not only have the Diffuse, but the Normal also. Both maps would have to be, "stuck" together throughout the placing, stretching, and resizing phase, or they will end up out of sync with one another.

So that again, ultimately, when I drag the finished UV, to my object within Unity, the object will automatically be UV mapped, with all of the Texture Maps correctly aligned.

I fully understand that Unity has it's own way of adding Texture Maps to objects, however, that is only going to work if you are dealing with an object that did not need to be UV'ed, flat objects such as a terrain, or a plane, or a Cube, however that will not work with a single object that needed to be UV'ed in the first place, such as my object, in which I purposefully raised the center of the top up, just so it wouldn't be a simple Cube.

One may say that this question is better suited for a Photoshop forum, but I don't agree, given the approach of my question. Within a forum of this caliber, CG related scenarios are going to be more in sync with what I am attempting to do, as what I am attempting to do is almost a mainstream procedure in UV mapping, versus something that someone would/could help me with within a Bitmap Graphics based forum.

I can only hope that I am explaining my scenario correctly, and/or perhaps there is a more efficient way of doing this, thank you for your time.

ekGPOw0.png

Admin

Maybe @kbarknows something about this, as he is an developer expert in this field!

There should be no circumstance where one face has normal map, and others don't. If an object needs a normal map, that whole object should get a normal map, and the same applies for every channel an object needs. The normal pipeline for this is simpler than you are making it sound. All material channels are discrete, so there is no circumstance where (for example) a Normal channel texture is sharing UV space with other channels.

Once you have the UV mesh layer in a document, all your maps should line up with that, and if they do, all channels will still be in alignment when wrapped onto objects. Most people start with diffuse map, based on the UV mesh layer, and then all other layers are usually created from copies of that first texture by copying the layer and making adjustments to it for the purpose at hand. But you shouldn't ever need to change anything positionally having done that, so things stay in alignment over the whole model at every stage.

Not sure if that answers your question or not, but we might as well have the correct basics written down somewhere so we can at least say we covered them...

CBR

Sounds like you should just be doing multi-channel projection painting instead of stretching images over UVs in Photoshop. There is no way that I know of to handle the workflow you describe in Photoshop itself. But you could do some manual method with duplicate layers and copy pasting into the same region. But that would be very tedious.

If you want to project Color, Normals, Bump etc... all down at the same time you could give my tools a go (they are free). You just setup your material with the images you want to project in each channel, then drag it into the Material slot of the Paint brush. You can then do a lasso select over the entire surface and project that down onto the object. Here is a video that actually uses a Substance Material, but the workflow is the same if you don't have substance and just use a standard material.

Edit: Actually looks like you are using version 7 of C4D. So these tools won't help you. 😞

10 hours ago, kbar said:

Edit: Actually looks like you are using version 7 of C4D. So these tools won't help you. 😞

That screenshot in the post is definitely not R7. Interface looks way to fresh imho.

16 hours ago, muhchris said:

Forgive me as I attempt to purvey the details of my question, as to structure the question in the most concise manner.

We will start at the very beginning.

As seen in the attached picture, within Cinema 4D, and created solely for the sake of this discussion, I create a simple object, and unwrap it.

Next, in my personal pipeline, I will "Create UV Mesh Layer", and save the Texture out as a .PSD.

Next, I open the .PSD within Photoshop to apply my Textures to the UV Layer.

Herein begins my question.

Simply creating a few new layers and dragging, and stretching textures into place where they belong on the UV, is not the problem. My lack of understanding is as follows.

Ultimately, this model, and its UV, are going to end up inside Unity. I need to understand how to apply a number of multiple Texture Maps, (ie Diffuse, Height, AO, Normal), inside of Photoshop, while stretching, and aligning them to the UV.

One single Texture is no problem, drag it, get it into shape etc, no problem, but let's say for every face of my simple object I need/want to not only have the Diffuse, but the Normal also. Both maps would have to be, "stuck" together throughout the placing, stretching, and resizing phase, or they will end up out of sync with one another.

So that again, ultimately, when I drag the finished UV, to my object within Unity, the object will automatically be UV mapped, with all of the Texture Maps correctly aligned.

I fully understand that Unity has it's own way of adding Texture Maps to objects, however, that is only going to work if you are dealing with an object that did not need to be UV'ed, flat objects such as a terrain, or a plane, or a Cube, however that will not work with a single object that needed to be UV'ed in the first place, such as my object, in which I purposefully raised the center of the top up, just so it wouldn't be a simple Cube.

One may say that this question is better suited for a Photoshop forum, but I don't agree, given the approach of my question. Within a forum of this caliber, CG related scenarios are going to be more in sync with what I am attempting to do, as what I am attempting to do is almost a mainstream procedure in UV mapping, versus something that someone would/could help me with within a Bitmap Graphics based forum.

I can only hope that I am explaining my scenario correctly, and/or perhaps there is a more efficient way of doing this, thank you for your time.

Okay, so others in the thread have already explained how texturing for game engines works. It's an entirely different beast to something that you would do in C4D or other 3D software. Unless you're using Triplanar Mapping, probably everything is going to need a UV map. Even a flat plane. A game engine simply does not have concepts like cubic or spherical mapping unless you specifically write a shader for it.

I personally have not tried or used kbar's 4D Paint yet but that is mostly because I use Substance Painter / Substance Designer for my texturing workflow. These two tools are pretty much industry standard and they do everything you could ever need for game engine texturing and especially Painter is pretty easy to get into. Photoshop as texturing tool is simply outdated by now and has been for years. People definitely work on diffuse and other textures in it, but they certainly do not use it as a texturing tool. It's too tedious and lacks even basic features for the quality of texturing that is expected these days.

Load all of your textures into Photoshop, stack them as layers and convert them to a Smart object. Now you can scale, move, stretch or duplicate the Smart object to your likings and all textures remain untouched and aligned in the source file. You are nondestructive now and can add more textures to it also.

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

I want to thank all of you in this thread, who have given me some type of input, or direction. Since posting, I have done quite a bit of research into this topic, and have found that it appears that, Substance Painter is indeed the modern de facto standard for doing exactly what I was asking about. However, being the crème de la crème comes with a price, in the form of training. Albeit, there are a plethora of training videos scattered across the internet dealing with Substance Painter, sadly the majority of those videos are at the Intermediate to Advanced level, even when their title states, Beginner, or Fundamental. Especially the training videos found right on Allegorithmic's Substance website. Nice videos, however very fast paced, and still more towards the Advanced stages.

Having said, It looks like i will be posting more than my fare share of questions regarding the "marital relationship" between Cinema 4D, and Substance Painter, right here in, "Textures & UVs" in the near future. 

Once again, thank you everyone.

You might want to have a look at this:

https://gumroad.com/l/fTRFN