Posted (edited)

I started on this awhile back, collecting texture maps from NASA and wanting to add another educational project to my portfolio. I reloaded it with text instead of my lame narration. Sorry for those who had to hear that! 

Edited by CApruzzese
updated video

Nicely done!  I felt like I was at a kiosk in a science museum.  Very professional and some good information.   I also like how you showed the orbital path of the moons with their inherent wobble.  Plus the stars rendered very well....no flickering (there could be a whole tutorial on how to render star backgrounds properly...with and without motion blur.  It is not as trivial at task as you would think)!

So very well executed. 

The only thing I questioned was the size comparison of Mar's moon's versus our Moon.  Now there are pictures at the Nasa.gov site which do match pretty close to what you showed.  But Earth's moon is 3475 Km versus Mar's moons at no more than 27 Km.    If you were to actually make this to scale, it would look like this:

Moon.thumb.JPG.5d441d0a0c6c3eed7333c921fb26fe19.JPG

Yeah...some artistic license needed to taken.

Dave

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted
    8 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Nicely done!  I felt like I was at a kiosk in a science museum.  Very professional and some good information.   I also like how you showed the orbital path of the moons with their inherent wobble.  Plus the stars rendered very well....no flickering (there could be a whole tutorial on how to render star backgrounds properly...with and without motion blur.  It is not as trivial at task as you would think)!

So very well executed. 

The only thing I questioned was the size comparison of Mar's moon's versus our Moon.  Now there are pictures at the Nasa.gov site which do match pretty close to what you showed.  But Earth's moon is 3475 Km versus Mar's moons at no more than 27 Km.    If you were to actually make this to scale, it would look like this:

Moon.thumb.JPG.5d441d0a0c6c3eed7333c921fb26fe19.JPG

Yeah...some artistic license needed to taken.

Dave

You found  the same illustration I found in a couple places, what you show makes  more sense - but who was i to question NASA's graphics? I am not sure if I can update my YouTube upload without losing all my 10 views but I would like to fix this!  I can do it by coming in towards the moon until it fills most of the screen and reveal the other moons in better proportion. Thanks for pointing that out! 

• Topic Author

Fixed the moon  size problem, 3D Pangel!  Thanks also for the kind words. You got exactly what I going for when I made this. 

For the stars, I often just try different things until they work. I took some milkyway photos in Colorado a few years back and will use one of those , or something else I have lying around in a background object. I also used the starfeild generator and added a layer with a bluish gradient with lots of turbulence added and used a blending mode. I often separate the moving elements from the background, especially with stars and add the motion blur in post to avoid weirdness. 

You nailed it!  That certainly get's the point across that the moons of mars really are not moons as we think of moons.  More like captured asteroids as you say.  

So the bluish gradient captures our night sky as seen through our atmosphere, but how do you eliminate the flickering without having ridiculously high anti-aliasing values during rendering!   Some stars just do not consistently render from frame to frame....even when the camera is not moving.  I've tried everything (high AA settings, rendering out to twice the finished image size and then reducing in post) with only somewhat passable results (still not happy) --- even with static backgrounds.  Admittedly, I have not done a space animation in quite some time (3 to 4 years), so maybe the denoising algorithms have improved significantly since then - but I would still like to hear how you did it.

Dave

• Topic Author
    3 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

You nailed it!  That certainly get's the point across that the moons of mars really are not moons as we think of moons.  More like captured asteroids as you say.  

So the bluish gradient captures our night sky as seen through our atmosphere, but how do you eliminate the flickering without having ridiculously high anti-aliasing values during rendering!   Some stars just do not consistently render from frame to frame....even when the camera is not moving.  I've tried everything (high AA settings, rendering out to twice the finished image size and then reducing in post) with only somewhat passable results (still not happy) --- even with static backgrounds.  Admittedly, I have not done a space animation in quite some time (3 to 4 years), so maybe the denoising algorithms have improved significantly since then - but I would still like to hear how you did it.

Dave

I don't do anything super special, I think some of it is just the rendering has improved over the years as you said. When preparing a pre-made star field, I do up the black values in Affinity Photo which takes away some of the one pixel only stars and some of the smaller ones so there is less chance of the problem with the software not knowing whether to show the white pixel of the black one next to it while anti-aliasing is going on. Adding the stars in post can help a lot as well. I have more problems with bricks shimmering and having to up the AA setting than I do with stars! It might just be plain old luck! 

Admin

Good job man, keep them coming! 🙂 

• Topic Author

Thanks guys... I am encouraged to do more. I worked on models of Saturn and Io yesterday as a possible new short in this vein. 

I would be interested if you have found planetary textures at any sites other than the one's I am familiar with....and those would be:

Celestial Motherlode

NASA Earth Maps (or Visible Earth)

Earth from Space

Dave