MikeA

Duplicate without children?

R21...

Currently I'm doing a lot of work with complex models - scenes with lots of nested hierarchies and 1,000's of objects.  Working on these jobs has raised an old issue:

I want to duplicate (copy) an object somewhere in a hierarchy - without it's children!

Yes - I can delete the children afterwards, but when dealing with complex hierarchies that can mean 10, 20 ... 100 objects added temporarily to my OM, and it's too easy to loose track and delete the wrong stuff...

I just want to copy the single selected object - and paste it where I want.

Is there any solution I've missed?

hmm... I know of a Delete without Children command, but actually I haven't seen a Copy without children.

But since I haven't smuggled an ad for my Patreon into a post for a while, here's a script that duplicates the currently selected object and inserts the copy directly behind the original:

import c4d
from c4d import gui

def main():
    if op == None: return
    theClone = op.GetClone(c4d.COPYFLAGS_NO_HIERARCHY)
    theClone.InsertAfter(op)
    c4d.EventAdd()

if __name__=='__main__':
    main()

(Now waiting for someone to explain that there is such a copy already... 😎)

----------
Learn more about Python for C4D scripting:
https://www.patreon.com/cairyn

There's the 7 key you can hold down to move stuff independently of its kids of course, but not one for direct copy AFAIK...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Thanks guys. Yep - very familiar with the 7 key etc...  although "7" has always seemed a wierdly random choice : )

My next question was going to be... is this scriptable?  But I was wonderfully pre-empted. Thank you Cairyn. That little script is in use already and will be very helpful : )

So, as testimonials are an excellent form of advertising, let me say that if you're interested in learning Python for C4D use, Cairyn's course via Patreon is top quality and very highly recommended. I am a student - although somewhat behind on my homework : )

I very much doubt you'd find anything else even remotely comparable. Subscribe today!  : )

2 hours ago, MikeA said:

So, as testimonials are an excellent form of advertising, let me say that if you're interested in learning Python for C4D use, Cairyn's course via Patreon is top quality and very highly recommended. I am a student - although somewhat behind on my homework : )

I very much doubt you'd find anything else even remotely comparable. Subscribe today!  : )

I agree with your words,  Cairyn´s community support is invaluable 👍