Which is Best UV Tool for C4D 2020?

Hi All, 

I would like to know your thoughts on the best UV tool for Cinema 4D as of 2020. With R21, MAXON has improved the UV tool but perhaps third party UV tools are better and worth time investment? If anyone has R21 and also using a great third party UV tool I would be highly interested in hearing the pros and cons and a suggestion of whether to stick with C4D R21 UV tool or invest in a top tier UV tool package, such as RizonUV or Substance. Thank you. 

I can't really compare, nor would I want to start another "Subscriptions Pros/Cons" discussion. Just want to add, that S22 contained some significant changes to UV generation/editing, too.

For me personally, after the update in S22, I stopped using 3D Coat, which was my go to software for unwrapping UV's. It is so much easier to unwrap things in C4D, leaving 3D coat for only retopo whenever I need it. 

Sadly unless C4D allows the super basic thing of UV unwrapping multiple objects at the same time its impossible to survive without an external tool for us (also no split phong by UV edges function for baking)

3D Coat does well at it, Rizom is surely the best but overkill for our use

• Silver Contributor

I got so fed up spending ages trying to get anywhere with the UV tools in Cinema I bought a copy of Rizom and have yet to regret it. However since then the unwrapping tools have had an update, so you should give them a go before committing to anything.

• Silver Contributor
3 hours ago, Shrike said:

(also no split phong by UV edges function for baking)

There is a script for this on the Cafe somewhere, you can select all UV island edges so you can break them before baking.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:00 AM, Freemorpheme said:

There is a script for this on the Cafe somewhere, you can select all UV island edges so you can break them before baking.

You can also do this using the 4D Paint tools as well (they are all free). Just open the Material View->Tools->Select Edges. When in point mode it selects edge points, edge mode it selects the edges and poly mode it selects all the edge polygons.  It is also a command so you can dock it anywhere you want in your layouts.

https://www.plugins4d.com/4dpaint

https://www.plugins4d.com/material-view-2

On 8/7/2020 at 7:59 PM, Shrike said:

Sadly unless C4D allows the super basic thing of UV unwrapping multiple objects at the same time its impossible to survive without an external tool for us (also no split phong by UV edges function for baking)

3D Coat does well at it, Rizom is surely the best but overkill for our use

You might try this workflow maybe?

http://www.welter-4d.de/fplugs/freeplugins_en.html#uvtoobject

Iv been using Unfold3D for years now, still do, nothing else touches it in every regard apart from Rizom Uv which is the same company split up.

C4D has had some very nice additions recently to its Uv toolset so If that is not getting you there then Rizom or Unfold3D.  As C4D dont natively support UDIMs so if your also using UDIMS then options I mentioned above are the best was forward.

Dan

Sadly the UV based phong splits script no longer works with the new modeling and UV changes so Id have to do it in our R20

Definitely checking out the "UV mesh display" one, maybe thats the life saver, thanks!

I tried both Paint 4D and UV to Object but while UV to Object would be ideal I assume, it sadly does not work anymore on S22

Paint 4D also does not show anything when having more than one object selected sadly

After some more thinking and testing around, I don't think I can optimize the workflow much better than this:
Requiring a seperate software only for packing is pretty clunky but you can do it. 

C4D UV Workflow for creating sets of props:

Folder 1: Work Raw Files
- Seperate the models as usual by object (Shelf, Chair..), but also separate by mirrored / array subobject in case UV should be reused efficiently
- In this folder you work and have all the messy hierarchy you want to keep and not merge down

Folder 2: Work Instances
- Uses instances of the work files objects for overview and easy merging

- Make a 0 scale triangle as the folder so FBX keeps the hierarchy
- Copy this folder for the UV process and merge each instance down

Folder 3: UV Edit
- In this copy of the triangle folder you unwrap the models individually as properly as possible
- this should not be offloaded to 3D coat or other at best - do as much in this step as possible

- In case one mesh is broken, you only need to remake the UV of that object
- When unwrapping is done for each object, you export the folder as FBX to another software ideally simply for packing

3D Coat unwrap: Export as FBX and fix the scale on reimport - FBX keeps the folder if you used a triangle or plane as folder
Next step: Check is all UVs are correct with a simple texture and or test bake, if not go back to the UV unwrapping step

If all UVs are working, bake your models and test again if all is working (in engine)
Reimport the packed UVs to cinema and apply the array modifiers, symmetries and cloners again, arrange the final objects.

Make LODs after vertex painting or animating 
Save down and Export for final result and texture painting