Mixing Road and Jungle textures

Hello guys. there is a long road in a jungle looking environment. I need to have different looks at the near end of the road and create gravels and stuff there so road fade aways and we are entering jungle. I am not sure how to smoothly and gradually change the texture of the road and the environment around it and mix them with other textures 😕

or you guys might have other ideas to make it look nice? I tried putting millions of clones (rocks) there but of course, the memory would not let me. I tried bp UV edit and I get very pixelated textures no matter which options I changed.. so it's very obvious that I have no clue what I am doing. anyone can help? 🙂 Thanks

issue.thumb.JPG.971c898e9d5629abc313428567935079.JPG

Jungle_Issue.rar

Edited by Cerbera
Re-titled for future search use

We can't mix textures effectively when the road and the landscape are separate objects. You should make the road part of the landscape texture.

You are also going to need extremely large resolution texture maps.

But we need more info first. What is the final look of this meant to be (ie how photo-real or stylised etc), and how close is the camera getting ? What is the overall scale of the scene - have you got any reference that shows the sort of look you are aiming for ?

CBR

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

We can't mix textures effectively when the road and the landscape are separate objects. You should make the road part of the landscape texture.

You are also going to need extremely large resolution texture maps.

But we need more info first. What is the final look of this meant to be (ie how photo-real or stylised etc), and how close is the camera getting ? What is the overall scale of the scene - have you got any reference that shows the sort of look you are aiming for ?

CBR

Thanks Cerbera for editing the title and put a better one. well, this does not need to be realistic at all. just a cartoony look and stylized and we don't even focus much on the road. camera moves so fast and we may barely see the road which changed in color and pattern. I want only a few last seconds of the road to be changed in color and pattern so we move into the pure jungle where I will put trees and bushes. imagine camera is on the top of a truck and we are moving fairly fast... I guess minimum effort should do the job but yet I still could not do any minimum effort 😄 

OK - well there are 2 or 3 main approaches to doing it with materials. You can either use Bodypaint within Cinema and create a layered material there, based on photo textures, or most people are happier doing it direct in Photoshop or similar, and then importing the finished map (s)into Cinema.

Or you could do it the 3rd and easiest way which is to just make a heavily layered material using the standard or nodal material editors, and cinemas vast palette of noises and gradients and blending modes to achieve the look you want. With this approach the only part that can't really be done with noises is the road layer itself, so this will probably have to be either a bitmap you made elsewhere or you can use a hi-res landscape object, make it editable, draw your road in to a point selection, then create a smoothed  vertex map from that, which you can use as a mask in your materials via the Vertex Map Shader.

I'd say the bodypaint method is probably the most useful here as it is fullly interactive all the way through, and there are a few tutorials on YT that walk you though the basic BP painting layout and setup...

CBR

46 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I'd say the bodypaint method is probably the most useful here as it is fullly interactive all the way through, and there are a few tutorials on YT that walk you though the basic BP painting layout and setup...

CBR

Bodypaint seems easy to work with. but when I used it, I got very pixelated results. you said we need very high resolution texture for that? is it because we have a long and rather big road? so how can I produce that very high resolution texture? should create a very big file in photoshop and put many seamless textures near each other? Thanks