Cinema 4D for Realtime Workflows / Game art Resources + (C4D vs Blender vs Max)

9 hours ago, hobbyist said:

Oh my god! I didn't realise the voxel size could be reduced in the Mesher with the adaptive setting!!

So I thought volume modeling was only useful for the odd object that couldn't be animated. 

Thanks for sharing!

Remember you can also bake down objects externally. This is kinda unheard in cinema circles and has a strong learning curve but highpoly to lowpoly baking is the bread and butter of gamedev and other workflows as well. So you can make a highpoly and bake it down to a lowpoly with Marmoset Toolbag and then have a WAY more performant model than you ever could otherwise. As you can see in my first video about welding seams, the Oil Pump was baked down and looked very highpoly as with hundreds of thousands of polygons but was extremely lowpoly, like 3000 or something. This is a lot of effort but speeds up rendering insanely if you really need the performance. (On the polycount.com wiki there is a lot of info about Highpoly > Lowpoly baking) Volume builder is really next level for baking down things.

Baking down curvature and AO is also the only good workflow to create good textures. If you want real professional grade texturing with proper damage you need baked maps. You can get so far with proceduals and tiling cubic materials but it dosn't come close to a professionally baked properly textured asset.

Bake.thumb.gif.32b2f82146fe9a43909916223bf1f62d.gif

These are some extremely lowpoly props (no texture, curvature map only) so these are noticeably flawed, but you can bake at any resolution, the closer to the highpoly, the more perfect the result. But imagine how much faster this 80 vert mattress renders than your 500000 vertex mattress.

The huge advantage with volume builder is that my lowpoly can be my highpoly. Usually you would need to model both seperately entirely, but here
I can basically generate myself a highpoly which is huge.

• Silver Contributor
30 minutes ago, Shrike said:

Remember you can also bake down objects externally. This is kinda unheard in cinema circles and has a strong learning curve but highpoly to lowpoly baking is the bread and butter of gamedev and other workflows as well. So you can make a highpoly and bake it down to a lowpoly with Marmoset Toolbag and then have a WAY more performant model than you ever could otherwise. As you can see in my first video about welding seams, the Oil Pump was baked down and looked very highpoly as with hundreds of thousands of polygons but was extremely lowpoly, like 3000 or something. This is a lot of effort but speeds up rendering insanely if you really need the performance. (On the polycount.com wiki there is a lot of info about Highpoly > Lowpoly baking) Volume builder is really next level for baking down things.

Baking down curvature and AO is also the only good workflow to create good textures. If you want real professional grade texturing with proper damage you need baked maps. You can get so far with proceduals and tiling cubic materials but it dosn't come close to a professionally baked properly textured asset.

Bake.thumb.gif.32b2f82146fe9a43909916223bf1f62d.gif

These are some extremely lowpoly props so these are noticeably flawed, but you can bake at any resolution, the closer to the highpoly, the more perfect the result

But imagine how much faster this 80 vert mattress renders than your 500000 vertex mattress.

The huge advantage with volume builder is that my lowpoly can be my highpoly. Usually you would need to model both seperately entirely, but here
I can basically generate myself a highpoly which is huge.

Thanks a million for this info! 

I had a request to model a logo for someone that had to remain as low poly as possible as they'd be texturing it themselves. Doing it through volume mesher was so easy but was wayyy to high poly to be of any use. It's such a buzz kill when I think I've found a really easy way to do something only to see a big "no shortcuts here".

My modeling skills are really basic so I need to improve on that while also factoring in something like baking down to lowpoly.

C4D to Unreal Datasmith plugin is production ready. Blender has an unoficial Datasmith export and a coming soon official plugin. 

You guys should check the C4D datasmith because it even works with custom user data.