Lighting a scene for Green screen

• Gold Contributor

I am going to be supplying photo real backgrounds for scenes that have been shot on green screen. The scenes are being shot in a small pro studio with Kinos, softboxes etc. 

For speed I was aiming to use GSG lightkit pro and HDRI studio rig. My boss will spring for these if we need them. I like to use GSG for speed at home but i'm not sure of the workflow. My experience with HDRI studio is just for  getting sexy logo animations.

Question: Would I use HDR studio in conjunction with the Light kit pro or is it one or the other. The light kit pro has all the things I need, soft boxes and that type of stuff. Is using both a bad workflow/overkill?

Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: I put this in plugins originally but I think it is better here. If i posted in the wrong forum let me know.

It's not a case of one or the other, because it is possible to have a scene lit with regular lighting (or Light Kit lights) and still wnat the reflections from the HDRI in your surfaces. But you don't have to use the HDRI to light your scene with GI if you are using regular lights, whereas if there are no lights in the scene then you would require GI in order to get lighting out of the HDRI setup.

CBR

• Gold Contributor

I see, that makes things clearer. Thank you.

Cerbera, do the dimensions I set in project settings play a big part here. If the studio is 10 meters across should I set my project scale to meters in project settings?

I have never changed  these settings before

Also, I  didn't mean to take liberties moving the post. 😉 

Just now, Keith Vick said:

Also, I  didn't mean to take liberties moving the post. 😉 

Don't worry about it - normally I leave a note to say it has been moved, but didn't this time, so probably my fault...

You don't need to stress about project scale in this respect; real world scale is important in Reflectance based lighting workflow but I don't think you are doing that, so it doesn't matter.

Those settings are for changing the scene scale en masse rather than establishing it in the first place - the size of your models does that.

CBR

• Gold Contributor

Hi guys, I need to render my scene so that it matches up with this image. Is the a way I can quickly do this?

Edit: I had to remove the image due to privacy of the subjects.

Edited by Keith Vick
Removed an image due to privacy

Camera calibration is normally the way to go, you might just get it with the coffee table and lines on the floor, more vertices would be ideal.

Deck

Heres a quick test setup for you. I think the cube should be on the table and Ive put in an extrude object that could be your BG area. Worth checking it all tho as the camera cal can be a bit temperamental, especially with not an ideal input image.

Deck

You could probably just eyeball something like this easy enough

KeithViccamcal02.c4d.zip

• Gold Contributor

Oh great Deck, now I have a scene modelled, how do I go about putting the two together. Can I just merge scenes and replace my old floor with new one?

Thanks for the prompt response. The Cafe is turning into real life saver for me.

Im not sure best way to go with your current scene, I used the coffee table to set scale on this one at 1 meter, so it shouldn't be far from life-size. Obviously its set for a still so Im assuming the tripod is locked off. I don't think I put a floor in it, just the cube which was on the table.

If its a video Im guessing you would put it together in Aftereffex or similar. You can try copy and paste either way or merge, but I think ultimately it will be a guide for you to line it and then hand off your rendered set to whoever strips them together, not really my area of expertise, but I see it as the video footage on a layer in AE with your set underneath that layer.

Deck

If they are similar scales they should be reasonably close together.