Animating falling dominoes with effector (not dynamics)

DSeow

Hi is there any way I can animate dominoes falling (Basically just basic rotation) with Mograph effectors?

My problem starts when I have to curve the lines in specific ways and I can't use the regular effectors falloff shapes.

Many thanks!

Clone_Dominos.c4d

any reason you don‘t want dynamics? chris schmidt did a tutorial a couple of weeks ago on how to set up dominos with force fields, he made it that the dominos could even crawl up walls and move along a spiral, and it was perfectly art directable. you might wanna check that out.

1 hour ago, everfresh said:

any reason you don‘t want dynamics? chris schmidt did a tutorial a couple of weeks ago on how to set up dominos with force fields, he made it that the dominos could even crawl up walls and move along a spiral, and it was perfectly art directable. you might wanna check that out.

Sorry can I ask what method 'force fields' is? I am trying to avoid dynamics as my clone object could be something with very heavy mesh. I am afraid if the scene gets too big it will have computing issues..

24 minutes ago, deck said:

Or nitromans magic domino plugin. does the texture placement and dynamics according to video here, and the plugin is free.

Deck

Thank you but i will be having like game consoles, mobile phones and other devices as the dominoes, and not dominoes per se..

I think its gonna be problematic with different sized objects and no dynamics, you may get an effector to work for one thing but on a bigger item it may well rotate through the floor depending on its axis.

Re the dense mesh, you could probably set it up with a lores mesh and later replace with the actuall items or clone the actual items onto the lores version.

Deck

27 minutes ago, DSeow said:

Sorry can I ask what method 'force fields' is?

Doesn't apply in R18. That was new in R21. Lots of info on that if you google it.

CBR

55 minutes ago, deck said:

I think its gonna be problematic with different sized objects and no dynamics, you may get an effector to work for one thing but on a bigger item it may well rotate through the floor depending on its axis.

Re the dense mesh, you could probably set it up with a lores mesh and later replace with the actuall items or clone the actual items onto the lores version.

Deck

Good point with the mixed items size issues. It will probably be one item for each scene, and different items will vary with scenes. Thank you!

53 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Doesn't apply in R18. That was new in R21. Lots of info on that if you google it.

CBR

Ahhh i see...Don't have R21 so too bad for me! Can I ask again - Any way to go the effector route? To circumvent the curvatures? Thanks!

• Community Staff
1 hour ago, DSeow said:

Sorry can I ask what method 'force fields' is? I am trying to avoid dynamics as my clone object could be something with very heavy mesh. I am afraid if the scene gets too big it will have computing issues..

You don't have to use the heavy mesh for collision. Let's just assume you have a very detailed object, with carvings and all that jazz. If the overall shape is still a cube you can 100% just use a simple cube as collision which calculates REALLY fast. You can basically apply a completely seperate mesh for collision to any object.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

• Community Staff

I've attached a small example.

If you set the Dynamics Tag on the Stone to "Moving Mesh" (which is the slowest as it takes every single face into the calculation) you get a really, really slow simulation.

However, if you set it to "Another Object" or just "Automatic" (which works in this case because it's basically just a cube) then you get a really fast simulation. Primitives are very fast to calculate and in many cases it's worth building a seperate "collision mesh" if 100% accurate collisions are not necessary.

In this case "Moving Mesh" took over a minute just to reach 20% of the bake.

"Another Object" or "Automatic" took less than five seconds (!!!) for the entire bake.

Dominoes.c4d

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram