Should I invest on CPU or GPU?

Hello guys. for the past few days I was trying to choose a nice config mostly for animation and rendering in C4D. I was thinking to buy a good AM4 motherboard and 32GB of RAM and Ryzen 7 2700x which has 16 threads and can render the scene really fast. but then I need to buy a cheap graphic card because I won't have an onboard graphical chip with Ryzen. but there is another option also ... I can buy a medium motherboard and cheaper CPUs so I can invest on a graphic card and maybe even RTX ones. obviously I can not pay for both good GPU and a good CPU. so what do you think? 
PS: I might start using Arnold which has both CPU and GPU capabilities.
Edited by Cerbera
Moved to correct section

It really depends. Currently I myself am looking to upgrade an almost 13 year old machine (i7 920), and the only reason why I did not have to do this sooner, is because I rely on a relatively new GTX1080 to render in GPU render engines like Cycles, ProRender, Octane, and LuxCore.

As a C4D user your native GPU renderer is ProRender, but C4D's version is not that mature. The internal classic render engine is purely CPU-based, and aging.

If you have access to Redshift, the choice would be simple: go for GPU rendering. If you decide to stick with the old classic renderer, a fast CPU is your only choice.

A good GPU may however find good use in overall daily use: it can vastly reduce video conversion times (Handbrake + CUDA), and is essential for a fast viewport in C4D. NEVER GO WITH ONBOARD and 3d apps if you can help it.

And Nividia's new RTX3070 GPU is only going to cost $499, which is an absolute steal (it is faster than a 2080ti!). Then again, the cost of current 2070 and 2080 cards are nose-diving, so perhaps a second-hand card may give you both a fast CPU AND a fast RTX20XX card.

I can only speak for myself: I will upgrade to a VERY fast 3090, and save money by picking a slower Ryzen CPU like a 3950. (Yes, still much more expensive than what you would have in mind I guess, but I hope you understand my reasoning: I could go with a 3970 which was my original plan, but that new RTX3090 card is really a steal compared, and will have applications for me beyond GPU rendering).

43 minutes ago, hvanderwegen said:

I can only speak for myself: I will upgrade to a VERY fast 3090, and save money by picking a slower Ryzen CPU like a 3950. (Yes, still much more expensive than what you would have in mind I guess, but I hope you understand my reasoning: I could go with a 3970 which was my original plan, but that new RTX3090 card is really a steal compared, and will have applications for me beyond GPU rendering).

Thanks  🙂 well I edited my topic so guys should know that I am going to use Arnold. so do you think I should buy a good Ryzen CPU therefore better motherboard (since the motherboard is really good, in future I can upgrade other parts as I want)? how do you think is the speed of rendering a Ryzen 7 compared to an RTX one? Ryzen 7 is really fast but I guess those RTX cards can be much faster right? I never used a good GPU with C4D so I have no idea...

• Community Staff

GPU renders tend to be way, way faster. I have a single 2070 Super in my system and I've compared it to other engines... it's just no discussion.

AFAIK Arnold is getting a GPU render in the future, am I correct? In this case I would rather invest in a good GPU.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

Hi

You didn't mention what you currently have as there is no point putting a fast GPU on a system that's going to bottleneck it or be so slow in core tasks.   The new Nvidia 3070 is due out soon which is faster than a 2080ti from previews, so you may want to wait to see what impact it has on the used card market.  You may just want to save a little longer as for what you want to do you need both a decent GPU and core system, the core system should get priority, but if you save a little longer your be able to get both because you need both for Arnold.

Dan

@Rectro @DasFrodo it seems I can not buy a good GPU now. I was not thinking properly about the prices. they are really out of my budget. look at this:

image.thumb.png.79cea201afd29950db46104158a773b7.png

That TI GPU is really good, but take a look at the price. I can spend like 900$ for my whole upgrade... I currently only rely on my old CPU to render. so I guess I can use Ryzen7 for now which is a very good upgrade to my current gear (i5-4460) and can at least speed up my renders significantly. and in the near future I can buy a GPU, right? I am however more concerned about a good mobo which is the most important decision. there are lots of things to consider. x570 or b550? PCIe 4 or 3 (m2 NMVe)? proper heat management and heat sinks? how much of VRM phases? it turned out overclocking Ryzen7 3700x does not do much and the stock speed is pretty good. I might never use crossfire or SLI because I am not a render farm I guess 😄 so no need of extra PCI slots and stuff... 

here are some of possible candidates: 

Asus Prime X570-P

Asus Prime B550M-A

Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F

As a quick summery memory speed does make a difference to the Ryzen CPUs, more so the Ryzen 3x ones, so check out some videos on that, looks like your be good for the 3200mhz ram.  Overclocking get a good PSU and capable motherboard.  Watch  out for the M2 memory,  M2 is only the form factor, you can get a M2 that are cheaper but are actually using Sata III the same as the 2.5" sata drives.  The M2 NVMe on the other hand are like 7 times faster but heck are way more expensive per GB.  My nephew is a heavy gamer and I looked into the 2 options for him and he went down the Sata route as it was still so much faster than a conventional HDD.  I built his gaming rig which is a 2600x Ryzen, its very fast, and at the time of building it on his budget he has a GTX 1070ti, its still a dam fast card for the money.

With the RTX cards you do have the Nvlink which Redshift is making use of.  This means you can get almost double the ram with two cards.  2x RTX 3700 cards in theory would be a powerhouse in which you can buy one to start with then another later on.  Arnold, not sure what they offer GPU tech wise.

The Ryzen 3950x is where many test beds are testing new tech like PCIe 4 and when it comes to the new Gen GPUs.  In other words you need to check if there is any benefit using a older gen GPU on a motherboard using PCIe 4.  It is a jungle, and Iv personally not had a PC upgrade for some time, my system is doing everything I need and more.  Leave open the opportunity for future upgrades regarding the Mobo, you may want to have 2x or more GPUs.

When you watch the Youtube videos see what test bed system they are using and keep note of them such as 3700x vs 3950x.  I use Use Bench site alot when comparing to get a price vs performance idea.  If you do intend to overclock you have the PSU to consider, you dont want Vdroop it will cause certain instability for sure.  This can top your build cost up as My PSUs end up costing me £200 +.  Cooling wise,   air will only get to a certain threshold of cooling so depending on how far you go water may be the option, iv been water cooling for about 13 years.

Dan

1 hour ago, Rectro said:

The M2 NVMe on the other hand are like 7 times faster but heck are way more expensive per GB. 

Do you think we ever need that 7 times faster in animation business? I don't play games except maybe someday WOW again... I will buy a motherboard capable of NVMe anyway but for now, do you think its important to have those memories? I guess a simple SSD would be enough right? 

4 hours ago, Didar said:

Do you think we ever need that 7 times faster in animation business? I don't play games except maybe someday WOW again... I will buy a motherboard capable of NVMe anyway but for now, do you think its important to have those memories? I guess a simple SSD would be enough right? 

Check the prices for the same size drives and weigh it up.  If you mention the word "budget" when describing a build your be looking at Sata III, but do check the current prices shop about.  For CG stuff I need stacks of HDD space, for me SSDs just cant be big enough so most of my work is on WD Black 2TB drives, I have 12 HDs in total.  For video cache files its on a Sata then I later store it on the mechanical drive.

This is what I see on my shop here in Uk.

image.thumb.png.712ff8569b201379212d8b356d3ac3d1.png

The 1TB looks closer in affordable between the two.

image.thumb.png.f01e0192e082575936f36c92340ee8f3.png

Dan

On 9/7/2020 at 12:04 PM, Rectro said:

With the RTX cards you do have the Nvlink which Redshift is making use of.  This means you can get almost double the ram with two cards.  2x RTX 3700 cards in theory would be a powerhouse in which you can buy one to start with then another later on.

Unfortunately only RTX 3090 will still have Nvlink.