Maya indie

I just signed up for a maya indie Subscription. I had never used maya before and I have to say that the UI is way better than I thought, especially for modeling and character animation.
The viewport speed is also amazing. Very stable too (MacOS). 
This is for me the perfect alternative to C4D as I am not so much into mograph stuff. Has anybody jumped ships as well? Just curious to hear other users’ stories. 
What I’m now quite sure of is that C4D’s price is just not competitive anymore for indie people like me who don’t care about mograph. 

• Silver Contributor

MoGraph would've been the main thing that got me interested in C4D compared to the others.

What was the reason you chose C4D at all as previously the perpetual price was a steep price compared to other software?

I dont think I can jump ship to be honest. 
I tried to adapt a lot of my work with 2 trials of maya, but it feels quite complex to achieve some simple results. 
I believe character animation is far superior than the one we have in C4D, but yeah, mograph, for visuals and sequencing animations is unbeatable. 
Also, I like to organize things a lot better in C4D, within nulls, groups, layers. I didnt like the way things are in Maya at the start.

Also, keep in mind about the weird and not so obvious limitations. 
Depending on the country where you are. There is a limit of money you can earn per year, to be able to use it...
But not only that, outside of the US, they have also placed limits on how much the total project you are involved can earn (which is extremely shady..)
So, not being able to work in a project above 100k, makes it only available to use on small projects/personal, nothing on advertisement and serious CGI work.

I think Autodesk is still being "Autodesk" with this, that is why i dont think it is such a good deal.

I bought C4d when I was aspiring to become a design student and wanted to visualize concepts and ideas in a more realistic way rather than using drawing/photoshop/illustrator. 
I had seen teachers use it and therefore thought it would be a good choice compared to Maya, which back then  I considered overkill and way more difficult to learn for a self starter in 3D (nobody was teaching 3D in my school). 
I was right and grew with the software for 10 years until now. Honestly for 300€ Maya is  now a steal, especially for modeling/visualization tasks. The interface isn’t that scary especially when you already know the fundamental concepts of 3D. 
I also have a copy of zbrush and dabble with Houdini for simple sims. Pretty happy with that for now. 

If such a time ever comes when I leave Cinema (which isn't looking immediately likely) then this is definitely a viable option. Making stuff in Maya might be a bit like painting a hallway through a letterbox, but nobody can deny it has ALL the tools, specially in the modelling and rigging departments, though it is strong pretty much everywhere TBH...

I have traditionally massively disliked Autodesk and the things they do, but this sort of exceptionally reasonable pricing definitely makes me dislike them  a bit less. But only a bit because I bet they only did it because they felt they had to 🙂

CBR

23 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

If such a time ever comes when I leave Cinema (which isn't looking immediately likely) then this is definitely a viable option. Making stuff in Maya might be a bit like painting a hallway through a letterbox, but nobody can deny it has ALL the tools, specially in the modelling and rigging departments, though it is strong pretty much everywhere TBH...

I have traditionally massively disliked Autodesk and the things they do, but this sort of exceptionally reasonable pricing definitely makes me dislike them  a bit less. But only a bit because I bet they only did it because they felt they had to 🙂

CBR

But doesnt the budget limitation by project affects you?
or in UK they have a different limitation?

For me, it makes it unthinkable, to use Maya Indie for anything other than  small budget gigs or personal projects only.  

2 hours ago, FLima said:

But doesnt the budget limitation by project affects you?

No. I am a freelance modeller / trainer mainly - neither of those things takes me over the 80,000 a year or 100,000 per project. I'd also be interested to know in how exactly they could check ? The budgeting information from projects isn't usually publicly available, and surely the only person they could compel to reveal actual figures was the freelancer with the license, and that's only going to tell them what that one person got paid ?

I also think you could still take part in bigger projects, but they are likely to be able to assign you a full studio-owned (rented) seat while you work for them, so potentially not a problem there either...

CBR

I went to the Maya site in search of the indie license information.  Interestingly enough, they hide that as well as MAXON hides cost information about their perpetual license upgrades.   I did not find any information on the indie licensing.  I had to do a wider Google search (check here) to find that it was $250/year. 

It is apparent that Autodesk is setting the price ceiling on subscription licensing fees and that MAXON's position will always be competitive to what Autodesk does (eg. something lower).  Maya's licensing fees are absolutely horrendous and death to the hobbyist: no perpetual licenses and $1620/year.

As a hobbyist, nothing would drive me to Blender faster than should MAXON follow Maya's subscription plan . 

But nothing would keep me perpetually dedicated to Cinema 4D faster than if MAXON followed Maya's indie plan.

So obviously, something drove Autodesk to offer an indie license and I am pretty sure that it wasn't just because they wanted to be nice people and feel good about themselves.  It was probably something we all expected:  Their customer base of indie users was bigger than they expected and they lost a good chunk of that base when they implemented their high cost subscription plan.  Where that base went (Houdini, Blender, C4D) is anyone's guess, but it represented enough revenue to Autodesk that they took it seriously and wanted it back and thus implemented their indie pricing plan in key markets only (obviously markets with a lot of indie users ---- proof enough that they weren't just being nice guys but trying to win back customers).

I think MAXON is trying to dance somewhere in between with a subscription plan that is acceptable to everyone.  Whether or not the hard core hobbyist buys into their middle ground approach will become evident over the next couple of months as the last of the MSA's expire and the hobbyist is faced with a choice:  submit to the subscription plan for however long you want to keep using C4D or pay the higher cost of a perpetual license.

So...if history is any judge....I say we stand our ground.  No matter how exciting the next release looks, hold onto R21.  Every company sets budgets predicated on a prediction of future revenue.  Given MAXON's recent acquisition costs (Redshift and Red Giant), their cash reserves may not be what they once were...some of their cushion could be gone.  So meeting their revenue targets could be something they deeply care about more about now than they did in the past.  Therefore, if that revenue is unexpectedly less than what they predicted, they could change plans in favor of the hobbyist.  That is what Audodesk did. 

So hold tight people and see what happens.  

"We are in the endgame now"

Dave

5 hours ago, hobbyist said:

MoGraph would've been the main thing that got me interested in C4D compared to the others.

What was the reason you chose C4D at all as previously the perpetual price was a steep price compared to other software?

10 years ago one could purchase C4D “a la carte” with the core app only and then buy separate modules (mograph, AR, sketch and toon etc). That’s what I did: I started with the core app (R11.5) and progressively added the modules I needed most for what I was doing back then. A few years later MAXON launched new packages (prime/broadcast/visualize/studio) and that’s how I ended up being a studio license owner since I owned all the modules. In the end the cost of acquisition wasn’t that painful as I could add the modules one by one at my own pace. In comparison, Maya’s price was much steeper with no lower edition to get me started. Back then, the program wasn’t that popular and was still considered amateurish but it really felt like a more accessible package for a 3D noob like me. 
I never thought I would be using Maya more than 10 years later but I’m pleasantly surprised at the overall UX. It did not take me long to get around the modeling toolset and as Cerbera pointed out, the program has everything a modeler/rigger could dream of. 

• Silver Contributor
15 minutes ago, Adrien said:

10 years ago one could purchase C4D “a la carte” with the core app only and then buy separate modules (mograph, AR, sketch and toon etc). That’s what I did: I started with the core app (R11.5) and progressively added the modules I needed most for what I was doing back then. A few years later MAXON launched new packages (prime/broadcast/visualize/studio) and that’s how I ended up being a studio license owner since I owned all the modules. In the end the cost of acquisition wasn’t that painful as I could add the modules one by one at my own pace. In comparison, Maya’s price was much steeper with no lower edition to get me started. Back then, the program wasn’t that popular and was still considered amateurish but it really felt like a more accessible package for a 3D noob like me. 
I never thought I would be using Maya more than 10 years later but I’m pleasantly surprised at the overall UX. It did not take me long to get around the modeling toolset and as Cerbera pointed out, the program has everything a modeler/rigger could dream of. 

Good stuff! I keep forgetting about how C4D started out. It was R14 Studio when I first used it with maintenance to R15. Remained on R15 until 40% sale to upgrade any version to R20.

I totally wrote-off ever trying Maya with the high cost. At least with that indie pricing it has become a lot more accessible to check out for a year if want to.