Maya indie

1 hour ago, hobbyist said:

Good stuff! I keep forgetting about how C4D started out. It was R14 Studio when I first used it with maintenance to R15. Remained on R15 until 40% sale to upgrade any version to R20.

I totally wrote-off ever trying Maya with the high cost. At least with that indie pricing it has become a lot more accessible to check out for a year if want to.

Oh no... please...
stop..
I'm almost convinced to sign up for Maya as well haha! 

The subscription price for me would be 1/4 of what i just paid C4D 😞
But the biggest hiccup for me, is the project budget limit. 
Since a lot of projects that I work with.. my income, are projects that easily can go over 100k (not the amount that i get paid of course, but it is usually a part of an ad that I work with, etc.., and it has directors, art directors, other 3D artists.. etc..) 
So my use for Maya would be quite limited. 

My biggest dream is to test the rigging in Maya...   

• Silver Contributor
14 minutes ago, FLima said:

Oh no... please...
stop..
I'm almost convinced to sign up for Maya as well haha! 

The subscription price for me would be 1/4 of what i just paid C4D 😞
But the biggest hiccup for me, is the project budget limit...

I think you're misunderstanding the terms. The $100K limitation is not per project - but your gross takings as a freelancer / indie person, per year.

8 minutes ago, MikeA said:

I think you're misunderstanding the terms. The $100K limitation is not per project - but your gross takings as a freelancer / indie person, per year.

Nope, this is only for US.
Autodesk changed their terms for each country (sneaky bastards 😛 

So for instance, in Brazil, we cant make more than 50k per year (in US is 100k) but we still have to pay the same rental price.
Also, we have this budget limitation by project, of 100k. 
There is a sneaky similar limitation like that for Japan users for instance, there was a big discussion around that.image.png.51306e446e35804f5d4d061c72e3c74e.png

• Silver Contributor
5 minutes ago, FLima said:

Nope, this is only for US.
Autodesk changed their terms for each country (sneaky bastards 😛 

So for instance, in Brazil, we cant make more than 50k per year (in US is 100k) but we still have to pay the same rental price.
Also, we have this budget limitation by project, of 100k. 
There is a sneaky similar limitation like that for Japan users for instance, there was a big discussion around that.image.png.51306e446e35804f5d4d061c72e3c74e.png

That's crazy!!

I get the whole Indie and earn under 100K or whatever per year. But different incomes for different regions and project budgets is getting into silly level of micro management. Sure they might as well say you can't earn more than $500 a day.

How is that even enforced does anyone know? Or is it just something that they could ask for proof to random customers? That's not just for Maya but also Houdini, how do they know everyone is staying within that yearly income limit

2 minutes ago, hobbyist said:

That's crazy!!

I get the whole Indie and earn under 100K or whatever per year. But different incomes for different regions and project budgets is getting into silly level of micro management. Sure they might as well say you can't earn more than $500 a day.

How is that even enforced does anyone know? Or is it just something that they could ask for proof to random customers? That's not just for Maya but also Houdini, how do they know everyone is staying within that yearly income limit

I would love to know that as well. 

• Silver Contributor

I strongly suspect they are doing this so big companies - games companies, tv production studios, etc etc - dont just hire 'freelancers' with indie licences, to avoid the cost of buying full commercial licences. I'm pretty sure those big companies would be the prime targets of the Autodesk legal depatment for any infringements. I think you'd be pretty unlucky as a small time freelancer with a range of small clients to get the call.

1 hour ago, MikeA said:

I think you'd be pretty unlucky as a small time freelancer with a range of small clients to get the call.

And if you do get the call, surely you are the only person they can compel to share what you specifically got paid - the company that paid you are under no obligation at all to give them that project-wide info because the contract is not with them - it's with the artist. Or am I missing something obvious here ?

CBR

11 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

And if you do get the call, surely you are the only person they can compel to share what you specifically got paid - the company that paid you are under no obligation at all to give them that project-wide info because the contract is not with them - it's with the artist. Or am I missing something obvious here ?

CBR

hey... I think you raised a super strong point here.
No companies will be "happy" to share with you the complete information on how much they made on a specific project, specially with all the fees negotiations and etc in place. 
Unless maybe you are part of a team of a big budget production (pixar movie, etc...)  and you worked using your indie license. Then a public project like that, sure, i could see a problem.

Just now, FLima said:

hey... I think you raised a super strong point here.
No companies will be "happy" to share with you the complete information on how much they made on a specific project, specially with all the fees negotiations and etc in place. 
Unless maybe you are part of a team of a big budget production (pixar movie, etc...)  and you worked using your indie license. Then a public project like that, sure, i could see a problem.

But let's say Pixar for example really want you and your skills, and you tell them you have the indie license, so surely they just go - 'right - well we have 50 pre-paid seats of full Maya, we'll grant you one of those for the duration of the project' ? Or is there some reason I don't know about that stops them doing that ? And surely Autodesks's power cannot extend to demands about any artist fees you earned whilst not working under the Indy license ?

5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

But let's say Pixar for example really want you and your skills, and you tell them you have the indie license, so surely they just go - right - well we have 50 pre-paid seats of full Maya, we'll grant you one of those for the duration of the project ? Or is there some reason I don't know about that stops them doing that ?

That would be the ideal situation, yes. 
I think, if we werent facing a pandemic, most likely they would fly you over, to work locally on a specific thing. 
But yeah, you eased my conscious a little bit hehe.

@CerberaI am now curious...  
have you tried Blender? 
And no, im not from the "Blender" cult hehe, I've been trying it for a while.. but still.. havent really felt "at home" in there.
but the ideals behind it, the immense support and heaps of tutorials, always makes me think about it.