Maxon Announces Cinema 4D R23 | Overview | Discussion

Igor

• Silver Contributor

Fingers crossed that will remain the case. But, as you say, who knows...

What would be even better is if MAXON confirmed this was their intended policy - at least for the next 'R' version release.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only commenting on the things I used. Scene nodes look promising (haven't tested), but more importantly again show a strong vision for the future. I also comment on the general outlook, MyMa

I had a surface level look at scene nodes but then digged into the past material nodes again and want to share some thoughts,  not so much about the functionality but the implications of the prio

Grateful I jumped off...and stuck w/plan for blender/R20. Will have soon saved nearly $2,000. Never had to fuss with broken plugins, bugs, hassles and modest upgrades. Already had Octane and Rizom UV.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, hobbyist said:

😲 

In the future do you think there'll be a bottleneck with rendering huge object scenes with ambient occlusion etc. Is that something you'd work closely with Redshift team to optimise render capabilities for such large scenes? I guess that's also where the Red Giant capabilities can come in with sort of 'faking it' with post FX. I'm loving the possibilities of what C4D will be able to do, but also love what it can do currently of course. I'm very keen to learn this from its early phase, just need to decide on what path to take.

I am not really into rendering at this moment, but I would certainly expect a synergy with render engine.

There is no point being able to have millions of objects running in viewport smoothly and then not being able to render them in reasonable time frame 🙂

• Silver Contributor
1 hour ago, Hrvoje said:

I am not really into rendering at this moment, but I would certainly expect a synergy with render engine.

There is no point being able to have millions of objects running in viewport smoothly and then not being able to render them in reasonable time frame 🙂

Good point 😄

It's like a peak into the something special and very exciting to be part of.

22 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

As extreme example, with nodes you can build very complex things like ray collision node

So, you built this node with nodes or it is programmed? I don't see it in presets. if so how did you make red indicators where surface is detected? as far as I looked there is no node which outputs some shapes

9 hours ago, Beefdoctor said:

Quick question, will XPresso be phased out? With the arrival of scene nodes and it's development, will it just replace XPresso? 

No. Xpresso is part of classic Cinema 4D, scene nodes are not. Scene nodes can not replace in the old context and Xpresso does not work in the new one. Scene nodes do cover the same general functionality as Xpresso though, as such you can view them as the successor to Xpresso, but only in the new context.

2 hours ago, lieber said:

So, you built this node with nodes or it is programmed? I don't see it in presets. if so how did you make red indicators where surface is detected? as far as I looked there is no node which outputs some shapes

This node group or asset is created purely by nodes. I made the indicators by constructing lines (splines). Here is the scene file

74_Ray_Collision.c4d

Of course, it is just a basic algorithm but it works for most and is good display of what is doable, however it would make much more sense to get a default ,robust raycast and related node

16 minutes ago, Hrvoje said:

This node group or asset is created purely by nodes. I made the indicators by constructing lines (splines). Here is the scene file

74_Ray_Collision.c4d 287.42 kB · 0 downloads

Of course, it is just a basic algorithm but it works for most and is good display of what is doable, however it would make much more sense to get a default ,robust raycast and related node

Thank you!

On 9/10/2020 at 9:36 AM, hobbyist said:

Pro Render has been removed from R23 - https://support.MAXON.net/kb/faq.php?id=108&lang=en_US

But they also say it's transitioned to AMD, so maybe it will be a separate render engine made available by AMD?

AMD will update ProRender integration (and not plug in) directly, i presume.

AMD ProRender Integration for C4D, MODO, SolidWoarks ecc
AMD ProRender Plug-in for 3DS, Blender, Hiudini, Maya ecc

AMD ProRender page

22 hours ago, imashination said:

Just a thought on prices for people to consider; I don't know what the future plans are, but currently you can upgrade from R20 to R23 for a single regular upgrade price. Back in the day many people would skip 1-2 versions of photoshop and just upgrade every 2-3 years for the same price. *IF* MAXON's current pricing sticks around then this could be a viable option for many people, just skip every other upgrade, effectively bringing the upgrade price to less than the MSA; so long as you don't mind skipping the odd version.

I asked specifically if the current R20 to R23 upgrade price would be in place for future releases: in essence, is this a one-time sale to increase sales or a policy?  Unfortunately, I got this standard response from Mr. McGavran found here

Interesting how the whole R20 to R23 price, like all perpetual license costs, is a bit of a deep dark secret in that it is not posted on the MAXON web-site.

One has to wonder why?  Why is any pricing information on any perpetual license upgrades not made more public?

Well, I submit that the reason is that the number of users who are clinging to their perpetual licenses does represent revenue that MAXON does not want to lose and it varies by region or market.  Does this mean it is a big chunk of their revenue?  No idea....let's just say that they don't want to lose it and leave it at that.  It is money on the table after all. 

On top of all that, is the fact that the whole annual subscription process kicked off in September, 2019 means that whatever quarter the month of September falls into on the MAXON (or Nemetshek) financial calendar will be ALWAYS be big revenue quarter for MAXON...especially as that corresponds to their release cycle.  All subscribers are re-upping this month for the next year.  That is not good.  They need to generate sales and revenue around the entire year and not have 80% of their revenue occur at this time of year.  You have a miss in this quarter and it puts a cash crunch on the entire year....and MAXON has some debt now with their acquisitions.  Missing revenue targets can happen for a number of reasons -- most of them out of MAXON's control (just look at Covid-19).  For a global company, bad things can happen fast (trade issues, wars, natural disasters, economic collapse, currency devaluation and inflation, macro economic shifts, etc).  So you want revenue occurring year round because if it happens during your big quarter, you have less room to recover.

So offering future sales either public or private on perpetual upgrade pricing is one way to generate revenue in other quarters.  But MAXON does not want to train their customers on when is the best time to buy.  So that is why they keep that information private.

That is why I keep urging all perpetual license holders (which I assume are mostly hobbyists like me) to sit on their wallets.  Time is on our side and not MAXON's.  Something may break our way so just resist the urge to get the shiny new ball that is R23.  Remember as a fellow hobbyist, it is a want and not a need.

Now, if MAXON did initiate an on-going policy that you could go two full perpetual license upgrades for the same price as one upgrade then sign me up!  I go will go quietly into the night as a very happy C4D user and never talk about pricing again.  But right now, I just can't abide nor wish to afford $1000/year as a hobbyist (every two years works for me though).   Some people equally as upset as I am have left the platform completely but I do love the program and have invested a lot of time and money in it.  Blender will always be option if patience doesn't pan out for me and MAXON sticks to their high perpetual licensing costs. 

Unfortunately for MAXON, I am a very patient person and not going anywhere.

Dave

• Igor changed the title to Maxon Announces Cinema 4D R23 | Overview | Discussion
  • Igor pinned this topic
  • Igor unpinned this topic