Maxon Announces Cinema 4D R23 | Overview | Discussion

Igor

36 minutes ago, Shrike said:

Copying from my post - here are some good examples of highly useful things

I can't speak for animation and mograph but this is certainly the type of stuff that is highly desired in tons of 3D environments and I always see asked for:

- Pipe Builder with Unwrapping

- Cable & Post connection Builder

- Shelf Builder

- Skyscraper Builder

- Road Builder with Signs

- Rock Builder with lowpoly > voxel > unwrap > bake > lods

- Spline River Generator with stones and Flow maps generated

- Biome Builder - controlled asset placements based on areas, falloffs, certain requirements and exclusions

- Terrain Builder with slope & height based vertex color material, assets populated by vertex colors, transistion of biomes

- Car Tire Builder Spline Based with High & Lowpoly

- Raycasted Decal population, like paint splattering decals on shots based on entry and exit normal of a penetrated surface

- Spline Castle Wall, House Wall and railing builder with doors and windows

- Auto UV mapping and packing into areas

- Material based destruction setups 

- Auto Exposure and color balance

- Grow vines around objects based on geometry convexity, maybe avoiding certain types of objects even

- Simulate "heat maps" based on geometry and raycasting "roomba" style to see where people are walking in your building

- Automatic Edge trim decals

- Voxel Operations - Create voxelized highpoly and generate variations, automatic unwrap, bake maps, material based on baked maps

Thanks, much appreciated! You will be pleased to know that most of this is already possible but one has to build it. For example, anything builder related is same logic and hopefully you saw my road builder which is a simple example of building something with predefined blocks. If I recall @srek had some examples of parametric buildings.

Now, when you say controlled asset placement you are referring to distributing objects in numerous ways, right? There are many distributions in Neutron plus you can build any you imagine. Way more on your list that can be done already than not 🙂

For example, here is a log spiral distribution. Point is that, if it is based on any logic or math it can be built

Log_Spiral.png

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only commenting on the things I used. Scene nodes look promising (haven't tested), but more importantly again show a strong vision for the future. I also comment on the general outlook, MyMa

I had a surface level look at scene nodes but then digged into the past material nodes again and want to share some thoughts,  not so much about the functionality but the implications of the prio

Grateful I jumped off...and stuck w/plan for blender/R20. Will have soon saved nearly $2,000. Never had to fuss with broken plugins, bugs, hassles and modest upgrades. Already had Octane and Rizom UV.

Posted Images

• Igor changed the title to Maxon Announces Cinema 4D R23 | Overview | Discussion
9 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

@Shrike @MikeA

Guys, when you say  "we need to get away from playing and thinking with cubes and spheres, and into something practical,"

Please give me an example of that so we can try to build it with nodes 🙂

I have an example which isn't so much a system or builder but more to see if Scene Nodes lends itself to working in a certain type of way.

Currently I have a scene composed of many different elements . All elements I've modelled separately and combined into the one scene. Together, all these elements make cinema grind to a halt so I've separated them out to layers. I can only turn one layer on at a time to navigate the scene with any effectiveness. Often though I do need all elements visible and the Cinema viewport lag is immense. I'm not talking about thousands of objects here....

What can scene nodes do to help? Say there is a  high poly robot is built with certain parts sectioned off (head, body, arms legs - these represent a typical scene I would use in Cinema)

Can you import those individual high poly elements through scene nodes and enable them to interact as in a scene with no viewport lag in Cinema 4D? 

3 hours ago, srek said:

Interaction between scene nodes and Standard Cinema 4D is limited to scene nodes receiving geometry and data fro Cinema 4D. Standard Cinema 4D Can not react on scene nodes in any way.

I'm a little confused as to what this means and what the implications are. Are scene nodes separate from 'Standard Cinema 4D'?

Standard Cinema 4D can not react with Scene Nodes but can Scene Nodes be used to create a scene of many 3D objects that are not procedurally generated? Am I able to import/create objects to be referenced by Scene Nodes?

I'm trying to see if Scene Nodes can help with an issue I have that often arises when I work with Cinema 4D. Namely, the viewport and playback lags whenever I create a heavy scene made up of many different components. This occurs in scenes created via mograph (which Scene Nodes look like they can handle), and also custom made 'modelled' geometry which I'm not sure if Scene Nodes can help in any way.

27 minutes ago, SKaiser said:

Standard Cinema 4D can not react with Scene Nodes but can Scene Nodes be used to create a scene of many 3D objects that are not procedurally generated? Am I able to import/create objects to be referenced by Scene Nodes?

Yes you can import, but not get a generated mesh out to the legacy OM, hence the tech demo aspect of that system. 

CBR

4 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes you can import, but not get a generated mesh out to the legacy OM, hence the tech demo aspect of that system. 

CBR

Ah yes, I thought this would currently be the case, it's still early days. Will this be possible in the future perhaps?

The old and new can never merge, that would mean that the new system would have to compromise for all the problems of the old one, thereby loosing its main advantages. What will happen is that over time the new system will become ever more complete and allows the user to use the new system for ever more tasks, until at some point the old system is only really needed and used for compatibility reasons.

At this point in time the new system is not ready for the big stage, it is a tech demo.

2 hours ago, srek said:

The old and new can never merge, that would mean that the new system would have to compromise for all the problems of the old one, thereby loosing its main advantages. What will happen is that over time the new system will become ever more complete and allows the user to use the new system for ever more tasks, until at some point the old system is only really needed and used for compatibility reasons.

At this point in time the new system is not ready for the big stage, it is a tech demo.

Please do not remove the OM: I like it’s simplicity and user friendliness. I don’t want to model with nodes like in Houdini and lose all my creative juice. 

• Silver Contributor

I think it would be good for MAXON to write a  blog post about the broad direction of Cinema's future development - because it's clear not everyone understanding what is happening...

So let's see if I understand it : ) LOL!

Cinema is being re-built internally - 'the new core'.

R23 Scene nodes are the first obvious visible representation of the 'new C4D'.

So currently you're seeing two systems working in parallel - 'scene nodes' (only the very beginnigs of) and the 'legacy system' - the C4D we are all used to.

The low level nodes in the 'scene nodes' manager represent some of the building blocks that are being used in the construction of the new system. That new system will give users access to the scene node editor for low level manipulation of scene elements - a more developed version of what you're seeing today in R23. In addition the familiar higher level  interfaces of the object manager (OM), interactive tools, etc will be rebuilt using the same underlying software building blocks. That tech foundation (low level nodes) can stay hidden for the majority of users who would prefer to simply use the familiar OM and interactive tools we are all used to.

Here's an analogy:
Think about the re-development of a major road interchange. The engineers need to keep the traffic flowing (legacy C4D) while building new roads, bridges, tunnels, flyovers etc. (new C4D). There maybe very limited use of parts of that new construction during development (scene nodes), but the old road system and new road system don't really interact with each other - they run in parallel (today's situation where scene nodes and OM don't interact). Once the new road system is more developed the traffic can fully swap from the old road system to the new and everything works 'as before - but better'. Hopefully. : )

• Hrvoje pinned this topic