Maxon Announces Cinema 4D R23 | Overview | Discussion

Igor

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only commenting on the things I used. Scene nodes look promising (haven't tested), but more importantly again show a strong vision for the future. I also comment on the general outlook, MyMa

I had a surface level look at scene nodes but then digged into the past material nodes again and want to share some thoughts,  not so much about the functionality but the implications of the prio

Grateful I jumped off...and stuck w/plan for blender/R20. Will have soon saved nearly $2,000. Never had to fuss with broken plugins, bugs, hassles and modest upgrades. Already had Octane and Rizom UV.

Posted Images

COFFEE had its time, but that time is over. For general scripting Python is the weapon of choice, which we just now updated to industry standard version 3.

Regarding the object manager, no one from MAXON ever proposed to remove it. For the new system it just isn’t there yet.

what exact scripting options we get for the new system remains to be seen, and implemented. No need.to worry here, since the new system is the base for everything we will make sure to get it right.

3 hours ago, Adrien said:

Please do not remove the OM: I like it’s simplicity and user friendliness. I don’t want to model with nodes like in Houdini and lose all my creative juice. 

For what im reading OM is not going away, but Xpresso on the other hand will be redundant once Scene Nodes is fully implemented.

1 hour ago, Cairyn said:

I think (I hope) the COFFEE remark was irony?

No.

I'm using bifrost in AD products and seeing discussion about what kind of script-based node need for bifrost?

Spoiler

Project owner of Bifrost asking - AGL or Python, or both

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// example AGL compound to compute a+b*scale

operator scaled_add(float a, float b, float scale) => (float result)
{
result <- add(a, mul(b, scale));
}

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// example AGL compound to compute a+b*scale

operator scaled_add(float a, float b, float scale) => (float result) 
{
	result <- a + b * scale;
}

or like KL in Fabric Engine:

kraken.thumb.png.96fcfc9040cbcc2865085d338a3b45b3.png

usd custom stage

dfgEntry {
  stage = UsdStage_CxxCreateInMemory();

SdfLayer root = stage.GetRootLayer();

for(UInt32 i=0;i<count;i++)
  {  
    // create a transform prim
    UsdPrim xfo = stage.DefinePrim('/xfo'+i, 'Xform');

// create a sphere prim below the transform
    UsdPrim sphere = stage.DefinePrim(xfo.GetPath().GetString()+'/sphere'+i, 'Sphere');

UsdGeomXformCommonAPI xfoApi(xfo);

Vec3 v(radius, 0.0, 0.0);
    Quat q;
    q.setFromAxisAndAngle(Vec3(0, 1, 0), TWO_PI * Float32(i) / Float32(count));
    v = q.rotateVector(v);
    xfoApi.SetTranslate(Vec3_d(v.x, v.y, v.z));
  }

}

42 minutes ago, luchifer said:

For what im reading OM is not going away, but Xpresso on the other hand will be redundant once Scene Nodes is fully implemented.

While I agree, my expectation is that there would eventually two classes of nodes - but both functioning within the same architecture.  The lower class of nodes would be equivalent to Xpresso and hopefully future versions of C4D can load in older versions of C4D that use Xpresso rigs.  Given how Xpresso is used in rigs (characters, models, lights, etc), they really need to keep supporting it but within the new architecture.  That would be the ideal case.

Just like they moved to the latest version of Python, my understanding is that the changes are not that significant to the older versions and plugins can be easily ported to R23.  My hope is that the same applies to whatever the new node system means to Xpresso.

Dave

2 hours ago, ilay said:

No.

I'm using bifrost in AD products and seeing discussion about what kind of script-based node need for bifrost?

Um - then I don't get it. MAXON stopped updating the COFFEE API long before they dropped it completely. Is there anything COFFEE can do that Python cannot do? Is there any reason at all why users would need to learn not only the universal Python, but also a proprietary language? Or a reason why MAXON should expend twice the effort on keeping two scripting languages up to date? (Plus, of course, the C++ API.)

If this is just about legacy models, well...

18 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

Um - then I don't get it. MAXON stopped updating the COFFEE API long before they dropped it completely. Is there anything COFFEE can do that Python cannot do? Is there any reason at all why users would need to learn not only the universal Python, but also a proprietary language? Or a reason why MAXON should expend twice the effort on keeping two scripting languages up to date? (Plus, of course, the C++ API.)

If this is just about legacy models, well...

I just suggested one of the models. But you're right, the irony was there. 🤧

There will certainly be some language exposed at some point but we are still deciding what would be the best option, or options. In meantime, Nodes themselves offer huge amount of programming possibilities which are yet to be exhausted before using some language 🙂

• Hrvoje pinned this topic