Maxon Announces Cinema 4D R23 | Overview | Discussion

Igor

Ah so changing the name from "R22" to "R23" makes a price increase of 30 pct. for an upgrade. That's so brilliant. Now I'm surely not going to Blender. And I will for sure upgrade all my expensive C4D plugins because there will for sure be perpetual licenses available next year and the year after that.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only commenting on the things I used. Scene nodes look promising (haven't tested), but more importantly again show a strong vision for the future. I also comment on the general outlook, MyMa

I had a surface level look at scene nodes but then digged into the past material nodes again and want to share some thoughts,  not so much about the functionality but the implications of the prio

Grateful I jumped off...and stuck w/plan for blender/R20. Will have soon saved nearly $2,000. Never had to fuss with broken plugins, bugs, hassles and modest upgrades. Already had Octane and Rizom UV.

Posted Images

Grateful I jumped off...and stuck w/plan for blender/R20. Will have soon saved nearly $2,000. Never had to fuss with broken plugins, bugs, hassles and modest upgrades. Already had Octane and Rizom UV. Did buy the amazing Exoside Quad Remesher few months ago.

$2,000 saved...Hmmm...that's about the price of 2-year Houdini Indie, an RTX 3090 and a nice dinner date. Cheesecake for dessert.

Anyway...that's me. For those continuing w/c4d...wish you the best. Congrats to MAXON on the new features.

10 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

Neutron spinning 10 million clones in viewport, nice and smooth 😛

So pleasing to see C4D progressing on the much anticipated object handling/viewport performance. Would you comment on the performance of multiple character rigs in the same scene as of now and possibilities of the neutron core?

@RLaskey

There are no character rigs or skinning system in Neutron so that can't be measured, but it is v 1.0 after all. With Nodes you can replicate most of current Cinema functionality, but there are no CA tools yet. Once they appear, given that this is new core and everything will be built on top of it then that performance boost will be comparable to what you see now in "MoGraph" like setups for any other feature

4 minutes ago, Hrvoje said:

@RLaskey

There are no character rigs or skinning system in Neutron so that can't be measured, but it is v 1.0 after all. With Nodes you can replicate most of current Cinema functionality, but there are no CA tools yet. Once they appear, given that this is new core and everything will be built on top of it and performance boost will be comparable to what you see now in MoGraph" like setups

Thanks.

@Hrvoje

Watched some of your lessons. That is some really good stuff and you are clearly on top of your game. The amount of nodes is quite intimidating to say at least

peeps -nodes are clearly coding&TD tool, very similar in execution to ICE. Must say I am really impressed if this is tech demo only, kudos MAXON because this will bring you ex Softimage people who still can't get over what AD did to it. MoGraph crowd will love the performance and I can see that group assets could become a nice way for tech savvy people to provide functionality and sell them, so is there a way to password protect assets? that would be really good

9 minutes ago, thanulee said:

Hi, will scene nodes replace mograph functionality in the future? Will we still be able to work in an artistic way or c4d is headed to houdini direction?

Thanks

Nodes are base for future, they are new core. That core can take any "shape" needed. You already probably know that from official MAXON statements, but manager based workflow is in the works, so that means you will be able to work as you are used too. So, you can used nodes, manager workflow or both, nothing is enforced. Nodes are simply what is there in version 1.0.

2 minutes ago, Hrvoje said:

Nodes are base for future, they are new core. That core can take any "shape" needed. You already probably know that from official MAXON statements, but manager based workflow is in the works, so that means you will be able to work as you are used too. So, you can used nodes, manager workflow or both, nothing is enforced. Nodes are simply what is there in version 1.0.

Ah great news, I didnt know that. So object manager will get same performance boost ? thanks a lot

12 hours ago, srek said:

There is no R22. R indicates a version available to subscribers and perpetual users, S indicates a subscription only release. The numbering is continous.

Pricing and 23 itself should become available later this day in the MAXON Shop.

Once again, no R23 perpetual upgrade pricing at the web-site.  Can anyone from MAXON please explain why perpetual upgrade pricing is such a deep, dark secret?

Why do I have to call the local sales office?    This has been asked but not answered by a number of people over the last year and MAXON has been quiet about it.  Again, not sure why.

I do have a couple of theories though:

1. MAXON is embarrassed by the price - they know it is high relative to how loyal customers upgraded in the past via the MSA.  
  2. Originally, the perpetual upgrade price WAS going to be $720 and the subscription price was going to be the old MSA price of $650 but they made a mistake when they released the subscription pricing at the $720  cost.   So they picked $995 because it sounded nice.
  3. Perpetual pricing is determined by a MAXON sales professional spinning a giant "Wheel of Fortune" type roulette wheel with varying pricing values on it and a few traps like "Past Perpetual licenses flip to subscription", "License server goes down just for you...permanently" and the dreaded "The only upgrade path for you is completely new license at $3495"
  4. Test marketing shows that by having a highly trained MAXON sales professional with 6 years experience doing grief counseling walk you through the sticker shock, they will see 20% higher sales.
  5. They posted it once at the web-site in Germany and the offices got egged.
  6. They posted it once and their support desk was flooded with calls complaining that the web-site must be in error.
  7. MAXON sales professionals love hearing the anguish in our voices.  They record every call and play the best back to everyone during happy hour on Friday.

😉

Dave

• Igor changed the title to Maxon Announces Cinema 4D R23 | Overview | Discussion
  • Igor pinned this topic
  • Igor unpinned this topic