Maxon Announces Cinema 4D R23 | Overview | Discussion

Igor

Its 850 Euros from R20 or R21 -> R23.  Plus tax etc for your local area.  You need to call so we can verify your current license and upgrade it.  This is the price I mentioned last year, no change here. 

Cheers

Dave

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only commenting on the things I used. Scene nodes look promising (haven't tested), but more importantly again show a strong vision for the future. I also comment on the general outlook, MyMa

I had a surface level look at scene nodes but then digged into the past material nodes again and want to share some thoughts,  not so much about the functionality but the implications of the prio

Grateful I jumped off...and stuck w/plan for blender/R20. Will have soon saved nearly $2,000. Never had to fuss with broken plugins, bugs, hassles and modest upgrades. Already had Octane and Rizom UV.

Posted Images

• Silver Contributor

The €1000 region was around what expecting once the single app monthly subs remained at the current prices. I upgraded to R20 from R15. Got R21 under MSA paid at R20 purchase. The €1000 is similar to a 24 month MSA just for my own situation. 

The MAXON One is very well priced if someone was going down that route. I own a number of the Red Giant plugins already and also have an Octane sub, but want to remain on perpetual so it's not for me presently. It is very good though. The option of genuine monthly payments for apps is also very good imo.

If ever I was going to go subscription route then I think it would be with the MAXON One if it remains that price or lower.

7 minutes ago, DMcGavran said:

Its 850 Euros from R20 or R21 -> R23.  Plus tax etc for your local area.  You need to call so we can verify your current license and upgrade it.  This is the price I mentioned last year, no change here. 

Cheers

Dave

How can this be when most other software companies have solutions where you can upgrade on their website with your local tax added? There isn't even a price shown.

I can't think of any other plausible reason than MAXON wants to signal that perpetual licenses and upgrade licenses are yesterdays solutions. You have to go through a lot of troubles to reach the upgrade so why not just go the subscription way instead. Next step I believe is abandoning perpetual license option (and then I'm gone). The way the license options are presented looks a bit like Sketchup's website just before they stated that perpetual licenses would be discontinued.

12 minutes ago, DMcGavran said:

Cheers

Dave

So you can go two full "perpetual" licenses for one price (850 euro or $1003 USD) as you said "R20 or R21 --> R23"???  I know with S22 in the mix, sequentially numbered upgrades along the perpetual path are a thing of the past, but you did mention R20 in your post which implies two full perpetual license upgrades (R20 --> R21 --> R23).

Again, to be clear because this is important, is the 850 euro price the cost for upgrading to the next release ONLY or will it ALSO be the cost to upgrade two full releases in the future?

image.png

5 minutes ago, HansChr said:

How can this be when most other software companies have solutions where you can upgrade on their website with your local tax added? There isn't even a price shown.

I can't think of any other plausible reason than MAXON wants to signal that perpetual licenses and upgrade licenses are yesterdays solutions. You have to go through a lot of troubles to reach the upgrade so why not just go the subscription way instead. Next step I believe is abandoning perpetual license option (and then I'm gone). The way the license options are presented looks a bit like Sketchup's website just before they stated that perpetual licenses would be discontinued.

Plus, their pricing web-page has a "change region" function...so I would imagine that it could automatically factor in the currency and taxes in the pricing when you change regions. 

Unfortunately, Mr. McGavran's post even added more confusion because he stated  that 850 euro cost was upgrading from R20 OR R21....the key word being "or".  Plus R20 was the pre-license and pre-subscription so  this DEFINITELY IMPLIES one cost on whether you are upgrading one full release to two full releases....provided that is what Mr. McGavran meant to say.

Very interested in hearing more about that.

Dave

At the risk of sounding like I'm whinging in my first post, let me first say that the nodes look very interesting, and the UV updates are welcome.

On to my question, Screen space reflections in the viewport in the past (R21), would only work if you had 0% roughness on your reflective material.

In R23 they seem to have improved this so when you have a roughness value higher than 0%, the SSR is still visible.

my issue (as far as I can tell) is that these SSR reflections do not blur as the roughness value is increased.

Can anyone else confirm that this is the case for them, and I'm not just having a GPU driver issue.

Cheers.  

Check out my C4D tutorials at Digitalmeat.uk

Sometimes I feel like you try and complicate things 🙂

If you have an R20 Perpetual you can upgrade to R23 Perpetual for 850 Euros plus tax etc.

If you have an R21 Perpetual you can upgrade to R23 Perpetual for 850 Euros plus tax etc.

If you have an older license it is 1700 Euros plus tax etc.

There are different prices in different currencies.  We are happy to sell this to you as are our resellers.  Just contact one.   

We also are offering 25% off a 1 year subscription for a limited time for expired MSA customers.

Cheers

Dave

7 minutes ago, DMcGavran said:

Sometimes I feel like you try and complicate things 🙂

If you have an R20 Perpetual you can upgrade to R23 Perpetual for 850 Euros plus tax etc.

If you have an R21 Perpetual you can upgrade to R23 Perpetual for 850 Euros plus tax etc.

If you have an older license it is 1700 Euros plus tax etc.

There are different prices in different currencies.  We are happy to sell this to you as are our resellers.  Just contact one.   

We also are offering 25% off a 1 year subscription for a limited time for expired MSA customers.

Cheers

Dave

It is not my intent and I apologize if it appears that way.  Very clearly explained and a bit surprising as this upgrade pricing from R20 is new information to me.

If I may respectfully tread on your patience one more time:

Is this pricing policy unique to the transition from MSA programs to perpetual or will it be offered when the next full perpetual license is released (say - for the sake of argument - R25). 

Will I be able to go two full license upgrades in the future (for example from R21 to R25) for 850 euros?

I would imagine that this would be a very important pricing program for hobbyists everywhere as paying $1003 USD every two years is far more affordable than paying it every year.  We don't make money on C4D....we just love using the program and the capabilities of the program are growing so fast that I probably need two years to grow into it anyway (this is not my day job after all).

Dave

2 hours ago, DMcGavran said:

Cheers

Dave

Dave, why isn’t there a way to buy a perpetual upgrade directly on the site? I live in Hong Kong and have to resort to a French distributor to buy upgrades, and they charge me the heavy French VAT. I’d rather buy on the site with my HK card and download from there. Would be much cheaper for me  and faster than going through a distributor. And that’s obviously more €€€ for MAXON. Why do you still need distributors for these upgrades?

Same here. Ever since Singapore distributor closed down, I have nowhere to turn to. I'm from PH. 
I really don't get the need for the distributor. 

We are already on a digital age. We can just buy/upgare directly.

I'm checking the new R23 and it seems to be holding up well. No crashes so far. I've had no end of trouble with R21 and R22 with my Radeon Pro GPU. I couldn't find Pro Render and some of my plugins have disappeared again. Physical seems to render well with the Denoiser.

• Igor changed the title to Maxon Announces Cinema 4D R23 | Overview | Discussion
  • Igor pinned this topic
  • Igor unpinned this topic