RTX 3070 / 3080 / 3090

hobbyist

• Silver Contributor

RTX 3080 embargo lifted today and able to buy from tomorrow.

RTX 3090 embargo lifted I guess the day before that's released too? Able to buy from 24th. 

The early 3080 benchmarks out obviously focus on gaming, but Linus did have a couple of Blender screenshots. 

3090 should be an absolute beast. 

image.thumb.png.8b4ce8d29e0a3032848a8507da5cd431.png

image.thumb.png.e4ddc0fb36795aa9897625505b1d49e9.png

Source: 

• Cafe Crew
1 minute ago, hobbyist said:

Oh too true! 😄 

Jokes aside, I expect these things to be sold out for months. The demand is going to be insane because many people have been waiting for a worthwhile not overpriced NVidia Card for years now. And this is definitely is.

• Silver Contributor

They'll be gold dust for a while no doubt. Hopefully the 2nd hand 2080Ti market might become more accessible though.

A rig with two 2nd hand 2080Ti's might be something very achievable shortly compared to just a couple of weeks ago. Even though 3080 outperforms 2080Ti doesn't mean that 2080 is all of a sudden.

Coming from a 1080Ti, this (the 3080) is the 1st serious upgrade worth  considering for performance/ £, especially as I use Octane for 90% of my rendering nowadays.

I just have the feeling that 10GB Ram is a bit stingy, feel like if I wait for the refresh (3080 Super etc) or Maybe a 3080Ti with some intermediate amount of RAM, that might be a better choice.

1080Ti still doing decent, so I think I'll wait 6 more months & see where we're at, but a promising card.

I also really want a Honda CBR650R... which is difficult to justify from any rational perspective.

• Silver Contributor

Agreed with @Decade. I've been waiting for the data before I spec a new machine. I'm going to hang on to my current '3x 1070 Ti' set up until early next year, but I'm going to spec a machine that will accommodate a couple of 3080's - or Supers / Ti's if available with a bit more ram. The new cards are looking good.

I don't think there is any hope of air cooling more than one of the FE cards if they are conventionally located on a motherboard. The inboard fan of the bottom card will exhaust directly into the intake of the card above. So I'm hoping there will be some decent air(?) or hybrid / AIO cooling solutions from the partner manufacturers.

4 minutes ago, MikeA said:

Agreed with @Decade. I've been waiting for the data before I spec a new machine. I'm going to hang on to my current '3x 1070 Ti' set up until early next year, but I'm going to spec a machine that will accommodate a couple of 3080's - or Supers / Ti's if available with a bit more ram. The new cards are looking good.

I don't think there is any hope of air cooling more than one of the FE cards if they are conventionally located on a motherboard. The inboard fan of the bottom card will exhaust directly into the intake of the card above. So I'm hoping there will be some decent air(?) or hybrid / AIO cooling solutions from the partner manufacturers.

I have seen alternative cooling solutions from vendors here and there. According to Linus the ram and cpu temps are pretty much the same as running a 2080ti card with the official card.