Techniques to model signet ring ?

Go to solution Solved by bezo,

I've looked on the web and searched here.Plenty of ring tutorials, but I need to make a one-piece signet ring style shape. Tried a few things but when it comes to having the ring smoothly transform into a thick oval top, I cannot imagine how to do it. Any approaches, tips or list techniques I need to learn, please?

Please see sketch. Thank-you

IMG_6831.JPG

If you can wait til tomorrow night I can show you step by step, or someone else is bound to beat me to it,  but in the meantime the tips you need are...

• Use SDS poly modelling exclusively.
  • Start with disc primitives for the top surface and torus primitive (slice to 180 degrees / delete caps) for the band
  • Retopo the disc geo to eliminate triangles and prepare it for joining with band section
  • Combine models, add thickness to disc, and extend loops to meet band section
  • Stitch n sew together
  • SDS
  • Tweak

CBR

• Solution

...or start with tube, small extrude, few points position correction and here is rough result...

Don´t have this kind of ring, so if you need more adjustments, simply add loops for sharper edges, adjust inner loop of polygons (move up,scale) for finger etc...

ring_c4d.thumb.png.6bba6728df125a46dc36273a048d1c88.png

ring.zip

• Cerbera changed the title to Techniques to model signet ring ?

Thank-you for your solutions. That is exactly what I need although at this stage I cannot follow the solutions. Bezo, you say 'small extrude'. But extrude what? I don't see how you formed the top, even looking at your example (thank-you for providing it!) . Cerbera you say 'combine models' . I think this is a key thing I will need to study.

I guess this is quite advanced for my level, so I will have to work through the techniques using your guides.

Thank-you, again.

6 minutes ago, mrdatsun said:

Cerbera you say 'combine models'

'Connect objects and delete'... (after selecting both and right clicking in Object Manager)

CBR

So. I get the principles - but to be honest putting them into practice feels hard. For one thing I'm unclear how to end up with an accurate oval shape on the top if I use the 'Bezo' method. And with the 'Cerbera' technique it feels hard to understand how to get the disc primitive to meet the ring nicely, and exactly where. 

For one thing I wonder how to pull a tube so that the lower end is slim and the upper wide, with a nice curved sweep between the two extremes?

I guess I'm missing quite a few skills at the moment.

Yep, modelling is not something you can pick up overnight. Takes around 3 months to be even basically competent, a year or more to be good at, and almost a lifetime to fully master.

But you shouldn't let that put you off. It's very rewarding too. Still on the client stuff I am afraid otherwise I'd have shown you by now...

CBR

Here is short overview of modeling process.

All videos you´ll find here:   https://www.dropbox.com/sh/legnb3z0e8fj1aa/AADGYI7HAnSKTBKfMKSl9bm2a?dl=0

Steps,

------------------

1 - extrusion top polygons  (In Move tool with holding CTRL dragged up few top polygons - base for top part of ring, scaled to zero (with Shift quantized to zero precisely)

2- Aligning side polygons (since in blueprint it looks  like size of top part is the same as ring itself, polygons are "scaled" to needed size)

3- Modeling top elipse (elements are adjusted roughly (you need to imagine how works SDS in result) to elipse dimension.)

4- adjusting inner top part of ring (here in point mode are adjusted positions (here is also important imagination how it could look this part since haven´t this ring)

5- extrude top elipse part (this is step for correct behaviour of SDS, it will create support loop for SDS)

6- support loop for SDS on top elipse part ( here is selected border edge of elipse and cloned to inside with slide tool in clone mode (hold CTRL while drag in slide tool mode))

7- optimize and preview (when I create this short tutorials/steps, I forgot enable function "Delete polygons On Axis" in Symmetry object and while extrusions were created these unwanted polygons which are needed to remove...

Hope Dropbox folder works for you, if not, let me know...

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Yep, modelling is not something you can pick up overnight. Takes around 3 months to be even basically competent, a year or more to be good at, and almost a lifetime to fully master.

But you shouldn't let that put you off. It's very rewarding too. Still on the client stuff I am afraid otherwise I'd have shown you by now...

CBR

Yes - a bit overwhelming for newcomers. So, I've just ordered a c4d modelling essentials book.

Ok. I thought I'd follow this up. I've had a go at both your suggested techniques now. The one with SDS over an modified tube and another with an oval extrude shaped to meet the tube.

These are my limits:

a. The SDS one - I have used an SDS weighting tag to modify the amount of smoothinfg on ceratin edges to try and get a clean edge around the top and ring sides but I can only go so far. Also I have wierdness quilting effect inside the ring.

b. The one where we take an extruded oval and stretch segments to meet a ring is quite good, has problems where those segments (with their straight edges) meet the curved ring.

I do not know whether either of these methods can be improved, and wonder what you guys think? I added pics and the two files.

Hope you have time to look. Thank-you.

Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 16.24.20.png

Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 16.23.53.png

RingWIthOval extrude SansTop.c4d RingWithSDS.c4d