Can someone turn off the light..

Has everyone left?
I purchased C4D R13 Studio in 2012, and was on the MSA all the time since then. I have all C4D Studio versions, including R21.

Due to several reasons, I have lived under a stone the last months, when it comes to C4D. The start of September used to be the the highlight of the year, a new C4D version released!! This year - silence.
What is the status now? Is there an R22? Will there ever be?

Subscriptions is out of the question here. I use C4D for non-profit projects. I buy a version, own it, and can use it whenever I want. Take it out of the closet, brush off some dust, and there it is. I pay for Redshift and X-Particles, for the same reason. The stuff I bought doesn't just evaporate.
My computers  are chock full of expensive software. I have legal licenses for everything. Red Giant, Boris, a pile of Steinberg FX, various video NLEs plus plus plus. And all the other companies, manufacturing these products, they  send me e-mails with upgrade offerings. Because, they like my money.
From MAXON - silent as in a tomb. I haven't gotten any e-mails form MAXON offering me an upgrade from R21. NONE.
So, perhaps the last one leaving here can kindly turn off the light..

-Ingvar

• Silver Contributor
1 hour ago, ingvarai said:

Has everyone left?
I purchased C4D R13 Studio in 2012, and was on the MSA all the time since then. I have all C4D Studio versions, including R21.

Due to several reasons, I have lived under a stone the last months, when it comes to C4D. The start of September used to be the the highlight of the year, a new C4D version released!! This year - silence.
What is the status now? Is there an R22? Will there ever be?

Subscriptions is out of the question here. I use C4D for non-profit projects. I buy a version, own it, and can use it whenever I want. Take it out of the closet, brush off some dust, and there it is. I pay for Redshift and X-Particles, for the same reason. The stuff I bought doesn't just evaporate.
My computers  are chock full of expensive software. I have legal licenses for everything. Red Giant, Boris, a pile of Steinberg FX, various video NLEs plus plus plus. And all the other companies, manufacturing these products, they  send me e-mails with upgrade offerings. Because, they like my money.
From MAXON - silent as in a tomb. I haven't gotten any e-mails form MAXON offering me an upgrade from R21. NONE.
So, perhaps the last one leaving here can kindly turn off the light..

-Ingvar

There's a 23 page thread here which is the biggest thread since maybe subscriptions were announced. So the light does flicker every now and then.

The R23 perpetual is available but we need to contact MAXON if would like to purchase. It's €850 (ex VAT) to upgrade from R20, R21.

It is unusual that you didn't receive an email, maybe they went to your spam folder? 

Interesting that you didn't get a subscription promotion as a past MSA user.   They are pretty good about that.  You will not get any emails about perpetual license upgrades.  That is NOT the path they want you to take as their goal is to lock you into a subscription (or re-occurring revenue).  As Hobbyist stated, you need to contact MAXON about perpetual licenses.

Also, as an R21 license holder, should you decide to accept any discounted offer on a subscription be sure to read the fine print.  Some of these discounts also come with stipulations that your current R21 perpetual license gets flipped to a subscription as well....they can do that now as you need to connect to the server to run your software.

Dave

That is odd you didn't hear anything in a email, but there was certainly plenty of threads for S22 which was the subscription part of a two part upgrade for 2020.  Collectively the combined two part release has had some big additions since r21, so its worth checking both out and ringing MAXON to see what they can offer in terms of perpetual upgrades.  Not to get confused by s22 as it is part of the r23 perpetual upgrade so your be upgrading from r21 to r23 there will be no choice to upgrade to r22 perpetually.

S22 Features.

R23 Features. Perpetual release

Dan

Hi folks,
thanks a lot for your replies.
I contacted MAXON, and got a link to the shop where I can purchase an upgrade R21 --> R23.
The price is approximately the same as my old MSA agreement. So, I have nothing to complain about, regarding this. In fact, if they continue to offer me an annual upgrade, like this, I am satisfied.

I have had a look at the new features in R23. 

And here are my comments:
I have no idea why I need Red Giant inside C4D. I feel these effects belong in post, in a video NLE, After Effects etc.
I have no use for a realistic preview/render inside the viewport (reflections etc.)

I do not do much character modeling and seldom UV painting.

The user interface has gotten several nice new features, that I probably will miss if using older versions, when getting used to R23. 

New generator(s) and deformer(s) can be really useful, when getting used to them. And in some cases, be worth the upgrade alone.

In the animation field, there is a lot of new stuff. Things I ought to be excited about. Because I do animation, yes.  But having given it some thought.. these new features somehow pile up, they add to an already comprehensive toolbox in C4D. And I wonder if I will spend more time getting used to the new features, than the time I save. 

Now - I do wonder about how many out there really use C4D for character animation. The reason I ask, is that I see little practical use of the new stuff, if I were a  professional character animator. Seven years ago, in 2013, I did a lot of character animation. And since my profession is programming (not multimedia), I wrote several character animation plugins in C++.  My own version of Character Definition, written in 2013, is, IMHO, way better than the one in R23. Is uses a different logic, and has several important additional functions that an animator must have, as I see it.  Currently these plugins compile for R14 --> R19.  
(No plans to publish/release any time soon)

So I am not sure. I'll sit on the fence for a while. And wait until the feeling of paying for a tech preview is gone 🙂

But most important - for me it is still business as usual between me and MAXON. If I wish,  I can upgrade my C4D, get a perpetual license for the new version, and the price is the same as before. 

-Ingvar 

9 hours ago, ingvarai said:

The price is approximately the same as my old MSA agreement.

So you got a offer for a perpetual (!) update from R21 to R23 for 600 - 650 € +Vat? That would be very interesting and never heard of (at least that I am aware).

1 hour ago, Jops said:

So you got a offer for a perpetual (!) update from R21 to R23 for 600 - 650 € +Vat? That would be very interesting and never heard of (at least that I am aware).

The last year with MSA cost me 740,-   €
Upgrade from R21 -->R23 is 850,- €
All prices are ex VAT
To what extent the MSA was more expensive here in Norway, than in some other countries, I do not know. But probably.
Now, considering that most stuff costs more this year, than last year, I didn't even lift an eyebrow, when I saw this price.

As I have said, C4D is a super-expensive hobby/free time activity for me. I do live on the dream of publishing my C++ plugins, and perhaps make some money. But that will happen at the end of a long tunnel I am in now..
I have one strong principle  though - I do not rent software. Jumped the Adobe ship some years ago, last version I own is  the Creative Suite CS6. 
So to sum it up:
MAXON can run their subscription  model as much as they want, for me, as long as I can purchase perpetual licenses. And - they keep their license servers running 😆
The upgrade price is absolutely acceptable.
-Ingvar

20 hours ago, ingvarai said:

The last year with MSA cost me 740,-   €
Upgrade from R21 -->R23 is 850,- €
All prices are ex VAT
To what extent the MSA was more expensive here in Norway, than in some other countries, I do not know. But probably.
Now, considering that most stuff costs more this year, than last year, I didn't even lift an eyebrow, when I saw this price.

As I have said, C4D is a super-expensive hobby/free time activity for me. I do live on the dream of publishing my C++ plugins, and perhaps make some money. But that will happen at the end of a long tunnel I am in now..
I have one strong principle  though - I do not rent software. Jumped the Adobe ship some years ago, last version I own is  the Creative Suite CS6. 
So to sum it up:
MAXON can run their subscription  model as much as they want, for me, as long as I can purchase perpetual licenses. And - they keep their license servers running 😆
The upgrade price is absolutely acceptable.
-Ingvar

Thanks for confirmation 🙂

On 10/3/2020 at 3:00 AM, ingvarai said:

Now - I do wonder about how many out there really use C4D for character animation. The reason I ask, is that I see little practical use of the new stuff, if I were a  professional character animator. Seven years ago, in 2013, I did a lot of character animation. And since my profession is programming (not multimedia), I wrote several character animation plugins in C++.  My own version of Character Definition, written in 2013, is, IMHO, way better than the one in R23. Is uses a different logic, and has several important additional functions that an animator must have, as I see it.  Currently these plugins compile for R14 --> R19.  
(No plans to publish/release any time soon)

So I am not sure. I'll sit on the fence for a while. And wait until the feeling of paying for a tech preview is gone 🙂

But most important - for me it is still business as usual between me and MAXON. If I wish,  I can upgrade my C4D, get a perpetual license for the new version, and the price is the same as before. 

-Ingvar 

probably more than you think. but yeah, not exactly a lot 😉 ...the obvious goal is to grow in that area.  

idk why you see very little practical use of the new features regarding animation. all animators i‘ve talked to so far seem to think the opposite. me included... wouldn‘t want to animate in any prior version anymore.