Can someone turn off the light..

3 hours ago, everfresh said:

idk why you see very little practical use of the new features regarding animation.

Have you tested it copying an animation form an FBX imported character?
Tested it with imported BVH files, where the X,Y,Z axis is oriented differently than the C4D standard? 

Gimbal locks - catered for?

What I reacted to the most, was the inclusion of Mocap files. Why? There are literally thousands upon thousands of free BVH Mocap files out on the Internet. If I recall correct, there is(was) a University  or an official institution, that released their whole BVH library, for free. Besides of all this, you have Truebones  where you can purchase thousands of mocaps. For bipedals as well as quadropods, as well as birds, insects and so on.
I myself have a considerably large library of Mocaps/BVH/FBX animations, all kinds of movements.
So I don't understand why MAXON included these rather few Mocaps. Because, if you do animation, it will be pure luck if you at all find what you are looking for there, after all. That's my experience.  As a result of this, despite my own large (steadily growing) library, I use Kinect sensors to record my own movements, when needed.    

-Ingvar

• Silver Contributor
41 minutes ago, ingvarai said:

There are literally thousands upon thousands of free BVH Mocap files out on the Internet. If I recall correct, there is(was) a University  or an official institution, that released their whole BVH library, for free.

😮 I didn't know about this...

Googled it and sure enough here they are

Awesome!

1 hour ago, ingvarai said:

Have you tested it copying an animation form an FBX imported character?
Tested it with imported BVH files, where the X,Y,Z axis is oriented differently than the C4D standard? 

Gimbal locks - catered for?

What I reacted to the most, was the inclusion of Mocap files. Why? There are literally thousands upon thousands of free BVH Mocap files out on the Internet. If I recall correct, there is(was) a University  or an official institution, that released their whole BVH library, for free. Besides of all this, you have Truebones  where you can purchase thousands of mocaps. For bipedals as well as quadropods, as well as birds, insects and so on.
I myself have a considerably large library of Mocaps/BVH/FBX animations, all kinds of movements.
So I don't understand why MAXON included these rather few Mocaps. Because, if you do animation, it will be pure luck if you at all find what you are looking for there, after all. That's my experience.  As a result of this, despite my own large (steadily growing) library, I use Kinect sensors to record my own movements, when needed.    

-Ingvar

well, i wasn't talking about mocap workflows, i talked about animation. views might differ here, but to me it's about the same difference as playing an instrument vs DJing. never had use for any mocap in my whole life, so i can't comment much on that, although i tested the retargeting once and it worked. i was wondering why they included those mocap files as well, could be it was mainly because the mocap actress who made those works for redgiant, so it was considered low hanging fruit? certainly didn't eat up any dev time, so where's the problem? might be of use for some people.

2 hours ago, everfresh said:

. i was wondering why they included those mocap files as well, could be it was mainly because the mocap actress who made those works for redgiant, so it was considered low hanging fruit? certainly didn't eat up any dev time, so where's the problem? might be of use for some people.

Ok. No big problem. It just creates a dissonance with me.
Let’s look at it this (my) way:
MAXON C4D is a super professional 3D solution.
MAXON C4D oozes quality, because of being programmed in an almost military-spec’d, or even space technology spec’d way. It is rock solid, hardly will crash, ever.
MAXON C4D is a very expensive.

These factors also apply to a Rolls Royce car.
The feeling I got when saw these Mocap animations, was how I would feel if Rolls Royce came bundles with a set of extra gas station acquired tires, and that this was advertised. Tucked away in the trunk, ok. But not advertised.

-Ingvar

3 hours ago, hobbyist said:

😮 I didn't know about this...

Googled it and sure enough here they are

Awesome!

Yup - you found it!
And, if you subscribe to the Truebones newsletter, now and then you will get "500 BVH files for free", or a whole bunch of other animations for a reasonable price. Considering the overwhelming amount of already captured animations out there - available and free, then Mocap inclusion in C4D is somewhat peculiar. It doesn't hurt. And it is nice. But it doesn't add any real value. 
-Ingvar

42 minutes ago, ingvarai said:

MAXON C4D oozes quality, because of being programmed in an almost military-spec’d, or even space technology spec’d way. It is rock solid, hardly will crash, ever.

The feeling I got when saw these Mocap animations, was how I would feel if Rolls Royce came bundles with a set of extra gas station acquired tires, and that this was advertised. Tucked away in the trunk, ok. But not advertised.

-Ingvar

in all fairness, it wasn't overly advertised... there was a talk with that lady at ibc, but that's more because it is an interesting topic in general. but sure, i agree with you, there's tons of sources for mocap out there, free and paid, so not really adding huge value. but again, not a big deal to me. i just found it rather odd that you even count those mocap files as animation feature. there's much more useful stuff in there, like the pose library, delta mush, the new rig presets, all the little but super useful tweaks to timeline and keyframing behaviour... might not be very useful for mocap workflow, but for manual animation it is.

1 hour ago, ingvarai said:

-Ingvar

Its worth noting that the Mocap files are recently acquired, 60fps, and high-quality in comparison to older datasets like the Carnegie Mellon captures. Also, I think MAXON wanted people to be able to try out its motion retargeting tools with good, local, included datasets.

The Mocap files are useful to learn and try out the Character definitions and Motion Solver.  Rather than import your own to try this out they have given you fast access to some Mocap files.  If you go back there was plenty of people including me complaining about retargeting, the wrong  joint orientations would mess it up enough to not use it. 

Delta Mush has been used in Maya for some time, and when it came to a paid for plugin version for C4D I jumped on it although that plugin was made free eventually the included version for C4D will always be kept up to date working as a native part of C4D.  Again storing poses was down to Nitro Pose plugin, now we have a native solution.

Copy and paste interpolations, or Ease curves is time saving and its the smaller things that make the big differences such as the filters for name and position or rotations for the F curves. The short cut keys Shift I or O again speeds things up setting the timeline input and output range.  The filters for each object in the object manager is also so very welcome.  This really simplifies what we need to see for animation.

Adding markers for BPM for spot on timing, exporting timeline markers for their range into FBX files, Delete keys, Animate only for auto keys all save time and otherwise manual operations. These are all things that may be overlooked but are huge when in production for efficiency and speed.

Dan

On 10/5/2020 at 12:54 PM, Rectro said:

The Mocap files are useful to learn and try out the Character definitions and Motion Solver.  Rather than import your own to try this out they have given you fast access to some Mocap files.  If you go back there was plenty of people including me complaining about retargeting, the wrong  joint orientations would mess it up enough to not use it. Dan

All in all, Dan, you have some real valid points. My (a little harsh) reaction to the R23 overall first-impression, stems from my feeling of MAXON releasing yet another tech preview. 
When it comes to the "wrong  joint orientations", I fixed this myself with the C++ plugins I programmed myself already in 2013. Pity I don't have the time / resources right now to make these plugins mature enough the be public available.
I also agree that the sum of the new animation enhancements is larger than one might think, just casting a glance at it.
I am about to purchase an upgrade to R23 now.

-Ingvar