Geometry / Distribution

Ok how about this example where you have geometry available all the time, even do modeling operations on it, then you want to distribute over the result again and it ignores first distribution (grid) completely. 

This is not how I personally would expect nodes to work. 

Move this post freely into new thread, less related to cloner now 🙂

20201003_165553.jpg

20201003_165602.jpg

Yeah, sure, I went a slightly different way to get the same result, so that is not the issue. 

It is rather something fundemental you have to understand about the nodes that is not intuitive, at least to me. What I posted is how I would read nodes and expect them to behave going from left to right. 

I understand this is a tech demo and thete is hardly any online explanations available to learn from, so I guess Ill rather wait a bit. 

Sry for the file, was on mobile, only had some screenshots from chats with noseman 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Hrvoje,

finally had a look at your example on a computer, is there a way you could explain why is that connection Geometry Op to Sphere.1 so important for it to work correctly.

I guess this is incorrect when I expect for "Vertex Distribution Op": "Op Input" is the object to copy and "Geometry" is the actual points to copy on.

I am guessing it has something to do that the result after Geometry Op has geometry and instances? Not editable geometry?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

At the moment this is how objects are generated in that particular network.

That's what I am asking, how?

I would like to be able to read this node networks and I can't, since it is unclear what is happening behind.

Thanks so much for this, this is actually much easier to read if you connect it like you indicated with orange lines.

I am not sure yet if I get it, but now as I understand it - Op stream is a container (object builder) and Distribution is just one of the things (cloning data) saved in it.

What this results in that it looks like the nodes go in reverse, quick example:
I connected it like your alternative, and if you disconnect the grid -> sphere, you get it cloned only on first object (sphere), so when connected it looks like it is going backward, sphere.1 cloned on vertex AND then cloned on grid.
Maybe not really backward but it goes both ways. This is the part I guess I am struggling the most, since I was expecting something more houdini like, when you can read strictly in one direction.

stream_01.png

stream_02.png