Very simple cloner question... linear offset

Mike A
Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

• Silver Contributor

A simple question for the cloner experts:

I have a cube under a cloner. Linear mode, with a per-step x value offset - let's say 100cm.

What I want is for the overall set of clones to remain centered on the cloner, no matter what the clone count is. Effectively if I have 10 clones, I want the offset value to be negative 5.  If the clone count was 6 the offset to be negative 3.. etc.

Seems strange to me that the 'offset' value can only be a positive - not negative.

What's the simplest way to set this up?

• Solution

Isn't what you are describing in fact a Grid array , but with a 1 count everywhere except 1 axis ?

Or what about cloning along a straight spline segment that you have positioned with its mid point at world centre - then you would be able to offset your clones along it as well...

CBR

For negative offset you could use transform tab position parameter. Something like in this example...

ClonerInCenter.zip

Example are in all directions. For simple/round values it´s relative simple to calculate, but for float numbers instead of integers could be used this xpresso (maybe saved as preset..)

• Silver Contributor

Thanks guys - Cerbera's grid, rather than linear mode best solved the issue. It was a more complex set up than described above, but the same principle.

I still think it would be handy to have negative offset values available under Linear mode.