How do I unfold a cube ?

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

You can use the disconnect function in the r-click modelling menu (see manual) but your question is really weirdly phrased, so I am not 100% sure what you mean by unfolding and 'net' of the cube, or what that would have to do with disconnecting edges, because the way to unfold a cube is not to start with a cube ! You would start with a plane, and build it flat into a 2D form that could then fold to a cubic form.

CBR

• Solution

Here's how you could make that in one easy move out of a simple plane object. Just get one, give it 4 x 4 segments, make editable, and then delete all the polys except the ones you can see I have highlighted here... that shape will then be able to 'fold' up into a cubic form if you animate it correctly.

image.thumb.png.d9a07cdf448101803b35dde79b267d25.png

Trouble is you are unable to use regular point level animation to animate this folding into a cube, or you will run into problems with surface distortion during the rotations, so this has to be done with a different animation method, like a joints system or nested hierarchy and entirely separate objects for each face. These are both quite challenging concepts to understand / sort out if you are beginner, but fortunately the cafe and youtube has answered  these things many times before, so worth searching the them to try and find threads and vids which can help.

Here is a video that explains one of those methods, and starts with multiple plane objects, unlike my example above...

If you need to animate the folding of other, more complex shapes, then perhaps investigate the 'Fold my design' helper that comes with Cinema (search content browser for that term to find it) as demo'd below.

CBR

Edited by Cerbera
Added info pls refresh page
  • Cerbera changed the title to How do I unfold a cube ?