Pyrocluster Noise and Artifacts

Hi there,

I'm trying to create some clouds with pyrocluster and I'm noticing that around some of the edges, there is a lot of noise and artifacting. I've attached a screenshot for reference. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I've tried adjusting light samples and shadow samples within the pyrocluster material tag. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.40.10 AM.png

Hi CBR! I've attached the project file, yes, the noise is in the bluer edges of the clouds. Also, when you open the project file, I have a camera pulling back quickly. If you do a render and watch the result, I see hard lines within the clouds that move through the clouds. Hope that makes sense once you see it. Thank you for your help!

HairClouds102.c4d.zip

Are you trying to render this with ProRender ? If so, that is the category this should be in. I don't know if that is even compatible with Pyrocluster, and I certainly wouldn't expect it to be optimised for it. Neither am I sure that Pyrocluster works with Motion Blur, especially if that motion blur is physically based, because pyrocluster is a Post Effect.

I am able to render your scene in the standard renderer without the noise problem you describe, but I don't like the quality of the alpha you are getting out there, which has very hard transitions at the edges so I wonder if something about the alpha mode or multipass settings might be wrong. But that is not my field of expertise so will leave that for better-qualified members to advise on...

There is nothing in your PyroC settings that is obviously wrong, so I am going to recommend only using Standard Render for best results, and doing your motion blur in post.

CBR

Thanks for the response! I did render my reference in Standard render. I think attempting prorender was my last resort before hopping on to c4d cafe and ask for help. I probably just saved the file with the pro-render setting. Yea, one of my thoughts were an issue with the alpha. I'll keep playing with it. It's going over a blue sky bg so chances are I'll be the only one who even notices it.

Thanks again for checking it out.

If it's going over a blue sky background do you even need the alpha ? Could you not use Physical Sky instead, or even bring the image into Cinema as a background, then you wouldn't need the alpha. If we are doing it in Standard Render then the only thing I changed to get my noise-free result was to turn aliasing to best and change optimisation from Still Image to Mitchell, which is for animation.

CBR