How to prevent an area shape object from self shadowing

Go to solution Solved by bezo,

I'm confused because it doesn't look like the cube casts any light at all. Your light source seems to be to the right of your cube, and that light source seems to be responsible for a) the light and b) the shadows. It would really be helpful if you could upload your scene file. 

I am not sure if that is meant to happen or not (it still persists that way in R23), but in the case of a cube it is easy to circumvent because Cube is actually an Area shape option anyway, so in this case you can just set the area light to that to solve the problem. 

CBR

Of course, still this is just a test. If the light source would be a statue though it would cause a problem. I m just wondering if it is something ( a setting possibly ) that i dont know on how to avoid this , as this is cancelling the whole concept of self illuminated objects ( In octane for example this is not happening )