Any 3D magazines that you'd recommend?

Gokufab

Heya friends,

I am learning C4D lately and I was wondering if you would recommend any 3D magazines to read casually.

I remember back in the day I use to buy Computer Arts, Web Designer, .NET and - although you could argue that these magazines sometimes are more a show off of other people’s work - occasionally I found some good inspiration and tips and tricks in there. 🙂 

For 3D I am really not an expert and I would enjoy having something in the mail every month that keeps my curiosity up and also makes me relax with some 3D reading far from my screen. Any recommendations? (3D world, 3D Artist... )

Thanks in advance. 🤟🙏

Yeah I agree with Igor -  the internet and forums / communities like this one have all but replaced industry magazines. I stopped buying Computer Arts about 10 years ago, which was my favourite of the bunch, but I don't even know if they are still going... in the latter years it made very little sense to be paying that much for what was rapidly turning into 2 articles and 500 adverts !

CBR

I still have a subscription to 3D World, because I am old, and I like to have some curated content that I can read in bed.

Sadly there have been many issues lately, from missing download content (I told them; they never reacted), lost issues (I told them; they didn't answer), a pest of so-called "advertorials" (I can have that on the web for free, thanks), and COVID-related delays. They also restricted the number of issues that you can get replaced, and the issues I most wanted this summer are exactly the ones that got lost, and they don't offer replacement, so I am pissed at them and will probably not renew unless they have 50% off on Black Friday...

3DArtist is still around I think. It had some inspirational content, but was rather expensive for the hardcopy version. But they did have an online version for around $5-$6 an issue. I didn't really care for the online version. It was the same as the hardcopy, but I didn't like reading it on my iPad. It's a much cheaper route though. 

17 hours ago, Gokufab said:

Heya friends,

I am learning C4D lately and I was wondering if you would recommend any 3D magazines to read casually.

I remember back in the day I use to buy Computer Arts, Web Designer, .NET and - although you could argue that these magazines sometimes are more a show off of other people’s work - occasionally I found some good inspiration and tips and tricks in there. 🙂 

For 3D I am really not an expert and I would enjoy having something in the mail every month that keeps my curiosity up and also makes me relax with some 3D reading far from my screen. Any recommendations? (3D world, 3D Artist... )

Thanks in advance. 🤟🙏

Do you need a magazine or would a video tutorial work just as well?  Everyone learns differently so I would imagine that for some, printed page works better than a video.  But with that said, some on-line tutorials on YouTube do come with text annotation as  well .... unfortunately, I remember seeing it and thinking it was cool but I can't remember where.

If you do have trouble following video tutorials, then do what I do:  slow the playback speed to about 75% percent.  Sometimes I struggle with a video tutorial if the instructor is moving too quickly through the screen commands or mentions a hot key amidst a flurry of words which (if missed) really throws me off.  Therefore slowing down the playback slightly helps me absorb everything.

So if you are looking for good tutorials, there are a ton of resources should you decide on the video format rather than the printed page. Two good places to start are Cineversity and right here at the Cafe.  Hrvoje's course which are offered here can't be beat --- he explains everything in a very logical way.  Similar to Hrvoje is Noseman (Athanasios Pozantzis) from Cineversity which is also very, very good.

I also love Rocket Lasso's tutorials (Chris Schmidt) and EJ Hassenfratz from School of Motion.  And of course, should you ever venture into the wonderful world of X-Particles, Bob Walmsley is outstanding.

Dave