How to make integral/living hinge

Hello,

I'm currently fighting with C4D trying to make what I thought should be fairly simple - an integral/"living" hinge, like in the picture below, but without any of the detail - I just need a smooth curve between two surfaces that will hinge nicely.

So I drew the profile with a spline and extruded it. I then made it editable, created some joints, then bound it. I tried using the weight tool to clumsily paint some weights, but for some reason the "Joints" section in the weight tool's attributes never appears, so it's impossible to tell C4D which joint I'm painting weights for. And I don't really want to just do freehand painting of weights - I'd prefer to just say "that joint -> those points". And C4D ignores my paint strokes anyway - selecting various joints or the model shows various colours, then I paint, and the weight-colours change....and then immediately change back to whatever the colours were before I started painting, and nothing changes.

So plan B - pose morphs. But despite fighting with the promising-looking 'Mixing' controls, with tempting things like "Rotational" (I want the points of the object to rotate to their new positions as the hinge is rotated, not go in a straight line), changing those settings made no difference - it was always a linear move between the different poses.

Does anyone have any better suggestions how I can accomplish what I thought would be something fairly simple? I'm getting rather miffed at C4D's lack of co-operation.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

01-livingHinge.jpg

Probably not I'd say, if OP made this from a spline, so geo is likely to be awful and unsuitable for a) rigging and b) bending unless special attention was paid to that. For there to be any chance of that working caps in the Extrude would have to be set to regular grid or delaunay, and spline interpolation would probably need altering to uniform or similar.

Of course we don't have the scene file, so can't actually see the geo to know if any of this is the case or not ! So, for the 1000th time I've said it this week, always upload a scene file with your question !

However, I would agree that Lubos suggestion of the bend (or any other deformer based method) would be much preferable to do this with than any sort of rigging, which is likely to be unnecessarily complex for such a simple movement.

CBR

I did set the caps to Delauney to get some extra polys in there. I also tried a Bend deformer, but it kept screwing with the thickness of the object. Maybe I'll go about it in the opposite direction - model the things as a flat piece, being ultra careful to get sufficient polys where the bend will happen, then adding a couple of bend deformers. Maybe that'll fix it.

Yes - modelling the thing as a flat object (cube, filleted, with a decent number of subdivisions along the axis of bendage, then made edfitable) did the job. I then added the bend deformers to fold it into the desired shape.

Thanks for your quick help and suggestions! This is such a great community and resource!

I was gonna say, you should only need the 1 bend deformer, but with correct settings and modelled flat ! For truly best results I would still model it with polys to start with, then sub D the whole mesh, and bend that, but whatever works for you...

CBR

Actually a bit off topic.
As I like to keep things parametric, I came up with this setup to bend a "cube":

image.thumb.png.ac677b9970b52b06aade156d93d7efc7.png

Basically using the FFD (purple) to prepare the geo for the bend (orange).
Just that, not really useful, but I had fun for a minute... sometimes it's the simple things, that make me happy on a Friday afternoon.
Cheers

test_bend_parametric.c4d

Oooh nice - I'm a fan of keeping things parametric, too!

All this then brings me to my next question - texturing the thing. Obviously I have a lot more points around the bendy part than the flat parts. When I just slap a material on it, the UVs follow the points, so the texture's all distorted. I know I can go into the scary BP UV edit layout and battle for hours tweaking points and UVs and stuff, but is there an easier/shortcut way to just say to C4D "ignore those points and just glue the texture on!"? The easier/less efficient alternative is to just make sure my original cube is massively, evenly subdivided all the way along (and not use the FFD method which bunches those points together where they're needed most). But I hate having thousands of redundant polys in my models!

So many questions for a Friday afternoon!!

Thanks again for all your help.

texture.thumb.jpg.3e4b69c9c54a1ea445663db8e036e86c.jpg

7 hours ago, HelloPaul said:

All this then brings me to my next question - texturing the thing.

If Pin material doesn't work and you don't mind giving up some parametricity then you can very simply apply a standard cubic map to it and nail that into UVs with generate UV Coordinates function of material tag. But once it is editable you have a 1 click auto UV unwrap solution anyway in R23, so it's a total breeze.

CBR