Getting Started with C4D

Hi all,

I'm an artist and complete greenhorn to the world of C4D. I have a very basic familiarity with the workspace and that's about it. I've been wanting to integrate the use of abstract 3D textures and forms into my practice for a while now and thought I would take the plunge. I'm not looking for perfection, as I want to see the warp and weft of the digital process. I would love to learn how to make strange, saturated, and imperfect renderings that are referential to simulation and pixel grain in a digital era – basically digital mimicking the organic in a flawed way.

Unfortunately, a lot of the tutorials I've seen out there are for highly polished, or complex renders that don't tread much in the aesthetic dimension I would like to explore. I am really inspired by the work of Jennifer Mehigan in particular, as well as Blackartsviper (pictures/links below).

I was wondering if anyone could offer some good resources, tutorials, channels, or any other kind of launching points for me to begin making the kind of work I want to produce.

Thanks a bunch!

https://blackartsviper.tumblr.com

https://cowardess.online

f6c2452090a91111165d9459bd136d29.jpg

Jennifer Mehigan — Art&Co.

Jennifer Mehigan | Roaringwater Journal

blackartsviper.jpg

64391e1e545cce2648ecbe266b7ed25a.jpg

Welcome to the cafe 🙂

This sort of abstract, organic thing is pretty much the exclusive realm of the volume builder in Cinema. But also metaballs, and any of our various generators and deformers will likely be useful. I suggest you begin your explorations by watching an overview of the VB, and any video that covers material noises and displacement, which will be vital to this sort of thing...

Here's quite an advanced one, uploaded very recently, but there are lots of beginner ones on youtube as well.

CBR