Incredible animated music video

• Customer

Is it just me or does it seem that C4D is quickly loosing the perception that it is not a good tool for character animation.  Really impressed not only by some of the character work that is being created recently but also the improvements made to pose morphing with R23 (as well as a number of other improvements to the general animation system).  A really amazing example of all that C4D can do is shown here:  Honestly, this animation by Günter Nikodim should put to rest FOREVER anyone's concerns about C4D not be a serious character modeling, shading, rigging, and animation tool.  Be sure to also check his rigging reel.

Was it Horgavinski who was our resident C4D/Maya master animator?   Not sure if it was or not but I do remember that being an expert on character animation in both programs, he had tremendous insights into what capabilities were lacking in C4D.  

If he is still a member of this forum or if I am confusing him with someone else who is still a member, I would love to hear their insights into how far C4D has come with character animation over the past few releases.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

• Silver Contributor
2 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

... Was it Horgavinski who was our resident C4D/Maya master animator?  ...

Yes he was, and if I remember correctly he ditched C4D in favour of Maya for its character animation capabilities. But that was already quite some years ago ... I think even before 3DKiwi jumped ship.

On 1/24/2021 at 8:55 AM, 3D-Pangel said:

Is it just me or does it seem that C4D is quickly loosing the perception that it is not a good tool for character animation.  Really impressed not only by some of the character work that is being created recently but also the improvements made to pose morphing with R23 (as well as a number of other improvements to the general animation system).  A really amazing example of all that C4D can do is shown here:  Honestly, this animation by Günter Nikodim should put to rest FOREVER anyone's concerns about C4D not be a serious character modeling, shading, rigging, and animation tool.  Be sure to also check his rigging reel.

Was it Horgavinski who was our resident C4D/Maya master animator?   Not sure if it was or not but I do remember that being an expert on character animation in both programs, he had tremendous insights into what capabilities were lacking in C4D.  

If he is still a member of this forum or if I am confusing him with someone else who is still a member, I would love to hear their insights into how far C4D has come with character animation over the past few releases.

Dave

Coming from Softimage, I was worried that cinema 4d wasn't very deep in the area of character animation...and maybe at one time that actually was the case. But as I learn the tools I'm finding out that c4d not only seems capable and able to hang with Softimage, it might be better at some things too. I keep discovering things that make me go "I wish I had this tool when I used Softimage."

On 1/24/2021 at 2:55 PM, 3D-Pangel said:

Dave

while a lot of cool features and workflow improvements for character animation have been added over the last releases, it's not that c4d wasn't capable of professional character animation before. like all software it has its strengths and weaknesses in that area. i've been using c4d for character animation professionally since r15, and while there is a difference to what we have now, it's not that there's a huge gap of what was possible back then and what's possible now. it just has been made easier to get there.

c4d is used quite a lot for character animation in advertising, for film there's still a long way to go because of mostly pipeline issues for projects of that scale. almost everything that can be done in maya can be done in c4d as well, but for large scale projects like animated features or tv shows the lack of pipeline tools and performance issues with more than two character rigs in the scene are the main show stoppers.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:09 PM, everfresh said:

performance issues with more than two character rigs in the scene are the main show stoppers

Yes, this has been a big issue for me. 
Last year I was working in a shortfilm, and there were scenes where an interaction happens between 4 characters...
The timeline becomes extremely slow to work with...  

But for one or two characters, it works like a charm.

I think that the main thing we are missing for character animation in C4D are tutorials. To show what the software can really achieve.
There is very little on youtube and free access websites, and almost nothing on Gumroad/Udemy and etc...  
The last rigging tutorial uploaded on Cineversity is from 2018...

And by tutorials, I dont mean the ones involving Character Animation module/ Mixamo integration.
Whenever I try to find to rig a specific thing - last week was a front limb of a fox - it is one of the most frustrating experiences.
A vast majority of tutorials are all involving the premade character rigs, but not actually teaching or explaining how to achieve such result.

The best rigging tutorials are find are usually for Blender or Maya. 
And for the quadruped tutorial I tried to find for instance, the best one was by a guy called Pierrick Picaut - A genius in character animation in Blender.

• Customer
4 hours ago, FLima said:

I think that the main thing we are missing for character animation in C4D are tutorials. To show what the software can really achieve.
There is very little on youtube and free access websites, and almost nothing on Gumroad/Udemy and etc...  
The last rigging tutorial uploaded on Cineversity is from 2018...

And by tutorials, I dont mean the ones involving Character Animation module/ Mixamo integration.
Whenever I try to find to rig a specific thing - last week was a front limb of a fox - it is one of the most frustrating experiences.
A vast majority of tutorials are all involving the premade character rigs, but not actually teaching or explaining how to achieve such result.

The best rigging tutorials are find are usually for Blender or Maya. 
And for the quadruped tutorial I tried to find for instance, the best one was by a guy called Pierrick Picaut - A genius in character animation in Blender.

I would keep an eye on Rocket Lasso (Chris Schmidt) on YouTube.  His "What's new in R23" video spends a lot of time on the animation improvements and he does state that he will be developing more rigging tutorials in the future.  He did create this subscription only training series for Greyscale Gorilla found here

Not sure if he is still with Greyscale Gorilla as he is developing his own plugins now (Recall) so maybe there will some animation/rigging content in the future at the Rocket Lasso site.

Just a thought.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

7 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I would keep an eye on Rocket Lasso (Chris Schmidt) on YouTube.  His "What's new in R23" video spends a lot of time on the animation improvements and he does state that he will be developing more rigging tutorials in the future.  He did create this subscription only training series for Greyscale Gorilla found here

Not sure if he is still with Greyscale Gorilla as he is developing his own plugins now (Recall) so maybe there will some animation/rigging content in the future at the Rocket Lasso site.

Just a thought.

Dave

Yeah, he is amazing!! 
I dont think he is on Greyscalle Gorilla anymore.
I think he is a genunine nice person, and super smart. If he ever does rigging tutorials, I will make sure to keep an eye!! 

But I think you agree with me no? That there arent many great rigging tutorials (ignoring those with the character module)  out there..

I found one that looked interesting... but it is quite expensive (specially for the currency coversion in Brazil right now)
https://motiondesign.school/products/rigging-and-animation-in-cinema-4d

23 hours ago, FLima said:

I found one that looked interesting... but it is quite expensive (specially for the currency coversion in Brazil right now)
https://motiondesign.school/products/rigging-and-animation-in-cinema-4d

Hi!

I bought this course and I have to say it's uneven. In the first part there is a lot stuff for beginners, in the second part you are thrown into deep water. The course covers many things only in general terms, although fortunately you can ask questions to the teacher.

My opinion is that the first part is ok for a beginner only. For a more advanced one, the initial part is unnecessary. While the second part is okay, only sometimes many things are discussed too briefly in relation to the first part. A lot of knowledge in a nutshell. Sometimes you have to guess what the instructor did.

Facial animation is only represented by morphs on the example of the FACS system and no other techniques are discussed at all, e.g. such as on joints.

But so far it is one of the best C4D courses I have seen, although it does not cover many aspects that are also important in my opinion, e.g. correct mesh topology, gimbal problems, hair etc.

So the course is decent, but I would like it to cover more aspects of rigging.

However it is not over yet, subsequent lessons appear approximately every 1-2 weeks. The course is to be supplemented with new elements over time. At the moment it is based on Cinema R20 and does not cover features from the latest versions.

Full review should be made after the course is finished. I hope this course will be updated with new elements, because for what I have seen the instructor has a lot of experience.