Technical Achievement Oscar Winners announced

• Customer

Some of you may find this article interesting.

My biggest take-away is that 4 Oscars are being issued for hair simulation.  One each to Pixar's, ILM's, Weta's and Disney Animation's in-house development of their own hair simulation program.

Kind of odd.  My only take is one of two things: 

1) There are a huge number of approaches to developing hair simulation programs such that there is enough uniqueness in each of these companies approaches that warrant each one of them get an Oscar.

- or -

2) The Oscar committee could not make up their mind so every nominee get's a participation trophy.

Just glad that didn't happen in 2019 when Piers Anthony won for MoGraph in 2019.  BTW: Anyone know what he is doing now?

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

• Customer
On 2/7/2021 at 3:44 PM, Hrvoje said:

You mean Per Anders for MoGraph 🙂 ?

Wow .... I really butchered that name.   Yes...my apologies to Per Anders.

Dave

• Customer
14 hours ago, Cerbera said:

That made me chuckle when I saw it 🙂 Piers Anthony is the sci-fi author isn't he ?!

CBR

Yes...Hugo Award winning author.  I have mentioned that sci-fi is my favorite genre for 3D modeling.  I guess I just have sci-fi on the brain.

Dave

• Customer
16 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

Here is the footage of award. He mentioned whole MoGraph team by name including yours truly 😛

Time code is at 7:08 in case anyone is wondering.  Great to hear it...if only to fully understand how to exactly pronounce your name.  I do hope to meet you someday and want to make sure I get it right otherwise you will run into this problem again but in person!

Is_this_right.JPG.8299da832c02adde977a5e8bfc25c1a1.JPG

His overall recognition starts at 7:00 with (I think) a shout out to Srek (Bjorn) at 7:06.  

Great speech too.  An overall class act!

Dave