Getting Cloners to bend along with hair segments?

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

Hi,

I'm struggling with having cloners in a scene bend individually when tagged to hair guides. For example, if my hair guides have 8 segments, and my cloner has 8 subdivisions, is there a way to map these together so that when I bend the hair guide, the cloner will follow? Sick of stiff cloners !

Thanks,

Rod

• Rod Stewart changed the title to Getting Cloners to bend along with hair segments?

Thanks for the reply Deck,

I've attached an example. I'd like to be able to move the hair guide with the brush tool, have it bend (you'll see it has 4 segments), and then have the cloner object bend as well. Not sure if this is possible.....

The way it is now, the cloner stays rigid as I move around the hair guide.

Hair_Example.c4d

• Solution

That geometry is not capable of bending nicely because of the lack of even and level height loops ( or rather an excess of uneven ones!). You'll be needing to re-distribute those loops evenly, and level them out so it can bend properly. To be honest it's a pretty horrible piece of geometry anyway, so I'd start that again and build it nicely, without ngons or triangles for best results

image.thumb.png.c8a64afce7e4ffed68d25e585625880b.png

However more mysterious than that is what the cloner is doing in this - I simply don't understand why it is there, when you could just instance the geometry directly to the hair, which would make it bend as you imagine... but perhaps I am missing your grander plan...

1221436821_hairinstancedobject.thumb.gif.e6e420e00d6255b30667cf7eead46b20.gif

CBR

Thanks Cerbera !

The whole picture is......I am using the hair 'add guides' tool to control where I add objects onto a surface, and was linking to the cloner to do that - however, instancing the geometry within hair makes more sense ; ) I've fixed up the geometry and added the object as hair instance and things are bending nicely now.

Cheers,

Rod