Adding Donut Sprinkles faster

Go to solution Solved by Cerbera,

• Gold Contributor

Hello all! Your favorite newbie here - Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but if I got it wrong please let me know.

I want to put sprinkles on a donut but it is taking a LIFETIME to do it manually. Literally, I think i'll be dead before I finish adding them all.

I want to add like 100 little spheres all around the donut. Is there a faster way to do something like this?

God no, don't be placing those manually ! That's what the cloner is for !

Make your little sphere (or perhaps several variations of it) a child under a cloner, and set that to Object and surface mode. Drag your donut into the object field in the cloner, set the count (use the spinners to get higher than 100 if needed) and your spheres' will cover it in a random pattern, which you can change with the seed parameter in the cloner. You can also restrict the area where the sprinkles go by defining a poly selection using 'set selection' and dragging the tag that creates into the seletcion field of the cloner. On top of that you can also add effectors to the cloner like push -apart or random effectors to further influence how the things appear and get distributed. Lots of tutorials on youtube for c4d cloner scattering, and that's the search term you need.

Additional tips would be to use render instance or multi instance mode of cloner, and to keep your sphere geo nice and low poly (and use hexaspheres rather than standard) so you don't slow the app down with loads of clones of it. But with multi-instances you can actually have millions of clone sin the scene without choking. Manual has a lot more info on those special modes and is well worth a read so you understand what limitations apply.

CBR

hard to say exactly what's going on but your grab says you are using 214 clones which will be spread over the whole surface so there may be a fair few out of sight. Dunno if you are already using effectors that may also be hiding some.

Deck

• Solution

The issue with your first problem was that you had the cloner set to Volume, which is INSIDE the object, not surface as suggested, which is outside it. You may have thought you had surface mode enabled because you had that as a subtype of the volume mode you had actually selected, but this is not the same thing.

CBR

• Gold Contributor
3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

The issue with your first problem was that you had the cloner set to Volume, which is INSIDE the object, not surface as suggested, which is outside it. You may have thought you had surface mode enabled because you had that as a subtype of the volume mode you had actually selected, but this is not the same thing.

CBR

Ahhh makes sense! Thank you!

Selection field in cloner settings not restrict placing clones over selected area. It´s just "visibility" switch what means clones are distributed over whole surface with count you´ve set, but visible will be only clones over selected area...

You could create simple example with plane, create  polyselection in the centerand use for restriction clones. If you  check "enable" option, you´ll see clones over polyselection, but when you turn off "enable" parameter, clones over polyselection stay on the same position and you´ll see rest of the clones you´ve set on whole surface...

If you switch between these two images in some viewer, you could see no diference between clones position...

se.thumb.png.70754ba5cb29d79f8adc13475703c89f.png

sd.thumb.png.91080ebae7b1584e900d317285ba0abd.png

• Gold Contributor
On 2/23/2021 at 2:48 PM, bezo said:

Selection field in cloner settings not restrict placing clones over selected area. It´s just "visibility" switch what means clones are distributed over whole surface with count you´ve set, but visible will be only clones over selected area...

You could create simple example with plane, create  polyselection in the centerand use for restriction clones. If you  check "enable" option, you´ll see clones over polyselection, but when you turn off "enable" parameter, clones over polyselection stay on the same position and you´ll see rest of the clones you´ve set on whole surface...

If you switch between these two images in some viewer, you could see no diference between clones position...

se.thumb.png.70754ba5cb29d79f8adc13475703c89f.png

sd.thumb.png.91080ebae7b1584e900d317285ba0abd.png

Thank you for this response!! Sorry for the late reply - I was on vacation. You guys are the best!