Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

supafraud

Exporting camera moves to shake

Hey, I'm new to shake, just got the 30 day trial to check it out and seee if it's worth getting (once the universal binary version 4.1 comes out of course) and I use cinema 4d for all of my 3d stuff. Is there a way to get my camera info from cinema 4d into shake? cinema 4d has this option in the render settings to save a shake file, but i think it's only for multipass stuff and not camera info. Also, as of yet I cannot get it to work. I go to open the .shk file that cinema 4d creates and it apears to be empty. Please help asap (my trial runs out soon and the money man wants to see results) thanks!

Hi

the output to shake is just a compositing file, it doesn't copy the camera move across like to AE(as far as I know)

I've just thought of a possible way you could do it, though I cant try it because we tried the 30 day trial of 3.5 and I'm not sure we can now do the 30 day trial of 4(though I might give it a go). You know that if you select a node in shake, copy it and then paste in a text editor you see all the node parameters as text. You could take your camera in c4d, do postion track to spline, export that spline as ascii(via structure manager), then either manually transfer positions or possible get applescript or automator to do it for you. Then copy all that text back into the node area of shake, which should in theory then have all the camera data set up for you. That would do for postion, I'm not sure how you would do Rotation though. Just an idea.

Trig

I didn't know that about the nodes (copy and paste) So is that the easiest way? I read over at creative cow that shake will only import camera data from maya ascii files... ...is there a way to convert one of the export options to that ma format? Otherwise, if this method works, maybe just write something that does that.

Hi

in the same vein I just spotted that apple have dropped price considerably, from $2999 to $499 !

We might go and get it now cos thats £300 as opposed to £2000.

Trig

yes, i almost dropped my coffee when i saw that this morning, we are definately getting a couple copies now! However, i still use cinema 4d so i'm hoping that I can get an easy fix for this camera junk!

ok, this is probably a noob question, but how do you get your camera into a spline? I created a spline and then dragged the camera onto it, but then i couldnt figure out where structure manager was. I am mainly a compositing kind of guy and only getting started with 3d stuff so you might have to dumb down your fix for me a bit, Thanks!

Hi

I managed to download the 30 day trial of 4 before the announcement and had a quick play. The idea I mentioned above is possible though tricky, mainly due to the way the shake nodes appear in a text editor and the definition of 3D space the programs use. I'm going to keep trying(the price drop has suddenly made it seem a possible purchase).

As for getting Position track to spline, select the object(not the sequence itself) in the timeline, then go to the Objects menu(the timeline one) select Postion track to Spline. Then select the spline and go into structure manager and choose export Ascii data.

The issue I see at the moment apart from the exact dimensions of 3D space the different programmes use is that the C4D text file includes the tangent data, whereas the shake node defines the curve as Hermite etc. I'm sure they can be interchanged somehow, but as of now I don't quite know how. I manually copied a couple of positons from the text file directly into shake and the camera behaved in a similar way(though not exactly) to the C4D one.

With this quite suprising price drop Shake is suddenly in the grasp of a lot more people so I'm sure given a bit of time someone will work out the way of doing this.(perhaps even me)

Trig

awesome, i will try this, keep me posted

Guest efflux

Check out the video tutorials on this site... There's alot of useful info that could help you. Specifically, "Tutorial 32: Transferring 3D Camera Data to Multiple Applications"

http://www.cmivfx.com/tutorials.asp

I'm trying to learn the same type of thing, only with Fusion 5 instead of Shake.

later.

well, this looks like a good site to go back to for some tutorials, however tat tutorial is mostly for getting camera info from c4d into maya (or other programs that accept fbx) and shake (unless 4.1 accepts fbx) does not. Sadly, it want's the maya format ma mb or whatever it is. I don't have maya, and I don't think that the trial of maya allows you to save, so no good there or else I would use the technique in this tutorial to get into maya then out to shake. Thanks though!