Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Livid Blind Man

emitters

hey everyone,

ive run into a little issue. I have included a pic below to help illustrate the issue I am having with emitters and Adobe AE.... i am getting a black line around the smoke comming out of the rocket boosters of the space shuttle i have animated. now for some reason i remember someone telling me that (smoke emitters) cannot be composited. so if anyone has heard either or ..... or knows a quick solution. this space shuttle is still in the works but i am definately down with comments and cristicims

ps. the desktop photo on the left is the composition window when dropped in after effects and the quicktime movie on the right side. but thats the wicked black line that plagues me. ha ha ha. ok so im farely new to af

thanks

LIVID

Finally got a chance to play with this. What seems to work well is render out of C4D as .psd image sequence (TIFF or TARGA would probably work as well, but my comp was acting weird). Check Alpha, and Straight Alpha in the render settings. I might have set it to 16 bit as well. I then imported this into AE 6.5, told it straight alpha, and it came out ok.

First pic is a shot of one of the frames out of C4D, next is the comp in AE.

Finally got a chance to play with this. What seems to work well is render out of C4D as .psd image sequence (TIFF or TARGA would probably work as well, but my comp was acting weird). Check Alpha, and Straight Alpha in the render settings. I might have set it to 16 bit as well. I then imported this into AE 6.5, told it straight alpha, and it came out ok.

First pic is a shot of one of the frames out of C4D, next is the comp in AE.

Kalab,

ty for taking the time to help. i honestly didnt think about image sequences at all. hmmm...this could take a bit longer than expected...lol

hey kalab,

first i wanted to say thanks for the help. however ive just now gotten around to workin on that issue (knee surgery complications) which are now ok. long story short, I am not finished with the issue at hand, still some minor issues. Do you think that the lights (with hard shadow and visible light checked) i have used for the engine fire might be causing the issue or atleast being part of the issue?

no need for ya to spend too much time on it ...just food for thought.

thanks again for your help

LIVID

Glad to see you're back at it. I'm not sure about the visible lights w/hard shadows, but it sure seems worth investigating. I would probably make a visible light, used for a smoke effect, have no illumination (or shadows of course), then a second light for actuall illumination and shadows. Try that and see what happens.

I'll take another test run at it when I get in front of C4D again.

btw, my smoke was created using Pyrocluster, not lights.

Glad to see you're back at it. I'm not sure about the visible lights w/hard shadows, but it sure seems worth investigating. I would probably make a visible light, used for a smoke effect, have no illumination (or shadows of course), then a second light for actuall illumination and shadows. Try that and see what happens.

I'll take another test run at it when I get in front of C4D again.

btw, my smoke was created using Pyrocluster, not lights.

kalab....

thanks bye the way..glad to be back at it.

just so we are on the same page i wanted to let you know that i used a spot round light and a parallel spot for the fire or fuel burning off (rocket boosters) and then smoke w/pyroclusters. so essentially what i have done is used two lights per booster and i have placed the emitters inside the tail end of the visible light that the spot round light and the parallels produce. im gonna keep workin on it. but heres a couple of shots to help illustrate what ive done. ok so im gonna get to work. thanks again for the input. im gonna work on this over the next several days.

thanks

LIVID

Well, when using a visible light I get the same results as you. I can't find a solution (not to say there isn't one), but you may just want to try a multipass render and comp in AE. I'll keep playing.

thanks again kalab,

im beginning to wonder if i should persue the solution at this point. reason being i am tryin to compile a demo reel for savannah college of art and design...school starts in 1.5 months ...so that means i have bout 3 weeks to get this done. ha! its gonna be tough and sleepless.

i think i may just rest on this until i finish the reel.

i gotta keep moving on this so ...i really wouldnt worry bout it too much at this point.